Small pack derby scheduling help?!

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
idahopinehead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Small pack derby scheduling help?!

Post by idahopinehead »

I am needing some assistance. I have been asked by a fellow scouter to help with their pack PWD. They have 22 boys and have access to a three lane track. The track is a no frills, simple 1,2,3 light system. (For my pack we use a local computer track with great results. I can set back and enjoy the races.) The CC does not have access to a computer, so I have been hunting for a schedule. He mentioned 2E and I do not really care for this. I did download the spreadsheet to make a PPN chart for him. This is a first for me, basically greek. What will be the fairest way to run this derby? I made up a three lane, 22 car, two round chart but have not been able to check it. They are just going for overall winners (1,2,3 places). If anyone could please help me out, or point me in the right direction for a simple (idiot proof) racing schedule that can be used by some one who is techno challenged. :shock: Thank you!!
I have been reading this site for awhile, I have gleaned a great deal of knowledge from most of the postings. My sons car is pack and district champ, council race in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone that contributes to such a great forum.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Small pack derby scheduling help?!

Post by Stan Pope »

You have alternatives!

Double elim should be pretty far down the list of alternatives, IMO. On the other hand, quadruple elim (or quintuple elim) are viable and give minimum of 4 (or 5) runs against 4 diff opponents. See http://members.aol.com/standcmr/nelim.html.

2 round ppn charts with 22 racers is not good for final standings (points), but would work well to select finalists for a PN or CPN final, typically about twice as many as there are trophies to be decided. The web page at http://members.aol.com/standcmr/ppngen.html will generate charts, but coauthor Cory Young has an Excel spreadsheet that invokes the DLL form of the geneator software and makes scoring easier. With a 2 round ppn chart on 3 lanes each racer has only 12 opponents ... and doesn't race against the other 9. So accuracy suffers a bit. If you have Excel and want to use the DLL form, give Cory an email.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"