Peronto version of Stearns Method

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Peronto version of Stearns Method

Post by PWTom »

I have encountered two "problems" with running the Peronto implementation of the Stearns Method (a.k.a. pinewood.exe).

The first is that it generates an error for larger groups when you try to enter a minimum number of opponents. If I enter: 6 lanes, 84 cars, and 3 hours to race, the program responds with a recommended minimum of 77 opponents and asks you to input the minimum. Any number of opponents larger than 76 causes the program to churn for a long time (relatively speaking) then crash. Has anyone else run into this problem??

Second, is there an easy way to convert the output from the Peronto app into the appropriate input format for Cory Young's Derby Sim and Chart Check programs?? My method is fairly labor intensive with lots of cutting and pasting.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Peronto version of Stearns Method

Post by Stan Pope »

PWTom wrote:I have encountered two "problems" with running the Peronto implementation of the Stearns Method (a.k.a. pinewood.exe).

The first is that it generates an error for larger groups when you try to enter a minimum number of opponents. If I enter: 6 lanes, 84 cars, and 3 hours to race, the program responds with a recommended minimum of 77 opponents and asks you to input the minimum. Any number of opponents larger than 76 causes the program to churn for a long time (relatively speaking) then crash. Has anyone else run into this problem??
This is a pretty tough challenge for Stearns. The program randomly generates charts in attempt to satisfy the criteria. If you were to succeed in generating a chart that satisfies the "each car has at least 77 opponents" requirement, then look carefully at other aspects, such as lane balance and opponent balance. :(
PWTom wrote:Second, is there an easy way to convert the output from the Peronto app into the appropriate input format for Cory Young's Derby Sim and Chart Check programs?? My method is fairly labor intensive with lots of cutting and pasting.
Let's ask Cory! Otherwise, haul out your Visual Basic compiler and throw a little program together. Or maybe you can do it with a macro in your word processor. :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Peronto version of Stearns Method

Post by Cory »

PWTom wrote: Second, is there an easy way to convert the output from the Peronto app into the appropriate input format for Cory Young's Derby Sim and Chart Check programs?? My method is fairly labor intensive with lots of cutting and pasting.
32-bit versions of the tools are currently in Beta test. Making the code behind the "Load" buttons Peronto-format capable seems like a worthy and achievable goal, even though we both use the same .dby extension.

I'll keep you posted.