A solution to the "I didn't win a race" problem

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

A solution to the "I didn't win a race" problem

Post by Stan Pope »

There is another solution to the "I didn't even win one race" result, and it applies to any method you might choose to use. It is pretty simple, though it will take some advance preparation.

In all racing the event leader (Cubmaster, etc) has the privilege of challenge races with opponents of his/her choice. Keep track of who you need to race and how their car performed.

Prepare three cars. One that barely reaches the bottom of the ramp, one that will make it about halfway down the flat, and one that will barely reach the finish line.

For the challenge, select your car carefully and swallow your pride. You have to lose to every racer that you challenge!

Although it isn't like winning the whole thing, beating the Cubmaster carries some prestige and good memories.

Now, everybody, please chip in with your suggestions as to how to make the cars perform as described.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: A solution to the "I didn't win a race" proble

Post by Stan Pope »

Here are some ideas to kick it off:

Strong alignment for toe-in on the rear axles, steer into the rail on the front axles.

Move weight from body to wheels. The angular inertia makes the car very slow off the starting line. 3 or 4 washers layered and glued into each wheel is an easy way. There are some common sizes that fit well. Lead putty would work better, if you can get some. Really pack it in there. May have to work on the alignment to make it slower, tho, since it will roll pretty well onto the finish line, albeit slowly.

Some flat spots on the wheels might make for some excitement... but may have to really bind an axle or two to get the car to stop on the slope.
Stan
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Wasn't there a four masted schooner mentioned in another thread? This is a good application for that design. Also, don't bother putting any weight in the body or lubricating the wheels/axles. (Timeout while I run down to the track for a quick test) I'm back. I took a three wheel car and taped the touching front wheel to the body so that it does not turn. It barely crossed the finish line with the front wheel skidding all of the way. The track is wood with approximately 28 feet from start to finish line.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sounds like you are coming up with some good criteria on how to help a racer win a "Best Gas Mileage" award. The key to the award would be that the car can still cross the finish line, which should still be a goal for the Cubmaster Challenge races.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:Sounds like you are coming up with some good criteria on how to help a racer win a "Best Gas Mileage" award. The key to the award would be that the car can still cross the finish line, which should still be a goal for the Cubmaster Challenge races.
For the Gas Milage award, yes, but for the challenge, the purpose is for the scout to win. Even the scout whose car doesn't make the finish line must still go farther than the car raced by the cubmaster! The the CM's car should run almost as well as each scout's car, which is why he should bring several and, for each challenge, pick the car that is almost good enough to win.

He needs some patter, too. Brag about new designs (that appear to still have some bugs), jet engines (that fail to fire), etc.
Stan
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Although not the Cubmaster (but I am married to her!) I challenged a car as you stated last year. I made the mistake of letting the Cub Scout pick which of my pwd cars we would race and although it was staged poorly and ran backwards, it still won but just barely. We were running double-elim (don't faint Stan :shock: ) and since I was the Pinewood Derby Chairman, I stated that I was allowed to pick a faster car. I also proclaimed that I was allowed to stage my car so that the starting pin was inside of it (it had a cut-out section in the center) so as to get a little head start because of my age. All of this did not make the poor Cub Scout feel any better but I thought it neccessary for 'the show' I was putting on. Also, many a parent thought that this last part was an unfair advantage - and it was! My car won the race to the bottom of the hill but soon lost as this Cub's car passed me on the straightaway. I was crushed! Devastated! I demanded to stage my own car for the next race! Still I was soundly defeated! In all I made a great spectacle of myself and made one Cub Scout very happy!

If you are going to do this sort of thing, be sure and pick your own car, have knowlwdge of how fast it can run, and stage it accordingly. Of course you have to make a big deal out it so that the other racer will feel like he really wipped you!

Several good ideas have been mentioned but I like the unfair head start the best!

Da Graphite Kid
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Yes!!!
Stan