A question about Subgroups

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

A question about Subgroups

Post by pack529holycross »

Just so I can better understand the relationship between 1. running the event 2. scheduling the races and 3. awarding placement of racers, how exactly should subgroups be used within the event? Should there be one large group with sub groups for each den? This is my first year using GPRM, so I want to understand how to best use this feature within the event.

This is how our Pack Event will likely break down:

7 tigers
9 wolves A
9 wolves b
10 bears
11 Webelos I
12 Webelos II

20 probable sibling cars
20 probable adult outlaw cars

6lane BESTRACK with K3 and GPRM

Nicholas
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A question about Subgroups

Post by gpraceman »

If you are scoring by points, then you may not want to use subgroups, since you would get racers from the different ranks racing head-to-head.

If you are using times, you can use the subgroups, if you wish, to give you a single schedule to manage (easier on the race crew) and it doesn't leave groups of racers waiting to race (keeps them more involved). Having subgroups allows you to have a bigger race group but still allows you to get standings broken down by subgroup.

Personally, I would keep the sibling and outlaw divisions as separate race groups, but some packs mix them in with the scouts.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

We raced each sub group and advanced top three from each to finals. We used a points based system. You can combine groups if numbers are too low, eg weblo I and II, ect.. Sibling and outlaw seperate race. Worked well with minimal complaints from parents. We tried to build in maximum racing in our schedule.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

What if you had two Groups each with their own subgroups:

Scout Group
- Tiger Subgroup
- Wolf Subgroup
- Bear Sub Subgroup
- Webelos Subgroup

Non-Scout Group
- Adults
- Juniors

Will GPRM allow one master schedule with both groups racing, however, only allowing match ups within the group? In other words Tiger can race Wolf/Bear/Webelos but not Adults or Juniors, however, the schedule should interleave the two groups such that the Non-scouting group is not waiting for the completion of the Scout Group? Note - current plan is to used a timed PPN, three round schedule, on a two lane track.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

*5 J's* wrote:Will GPRM allow one master schedule with both groups racing, however, only allowing match ups within the group? In other words Tiger can race Wolf/Bear/Webelos but not Adults or Juniors, however, the schedule should interleave the two groups such that the Non-scouting group is not waiting for the completion of the Scout Group?
That is correct.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

NICE! Thanks Randy.