How many heats?

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How many heats?

Post by Stan Pope »

dknowles67 wrote:Would it be accurate to say that the new PPN generator works the way the theory is described on your PN generator web-page, only with a different set of generator keys?
And a different set of inputs.
dknowles67 wrote:That is to say, a 1 round PPN chart is the first round of a PN chart using a set of keys different from the ones published on your web-page, in order to obtain "more interesting charts"?
Yes, some pn generator buttons produced more than one round, i.e. stepped through two or more keys.

The ring diagrams that you probably saw on one of my pages are descriptive of the mechanism in both generators. Those diagrams are a pretty good way to check generator key candidates manually, btw.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How many heats?

Post by Cory »

dknowles67 wrote:That is to say, a 1 round PPN chart is the first round of a PN chart using a set of keys different from the ones published on your web-page, in order to obtain "more interesting charts"?
This might be true but it's probably not the best way to characterize PPN, i.e. as being pieces of PN. I would conjecture that any Lane Rotation chart is part of a PN chart, in most cases a really big PN chart. And most Lane Rotation charts are not PPN.

IMO, it is more accurate to think of PN as a special case of PPN, where the matchup count spread is 0 instead of 1.

Another good way to think of PPN is as "smart" Lane Rotation.

Here's a "dumb" Lane Rotation chart, 7 cars, 4 lanes, 1 round.

1 2 3 4
2 3 4 5
3 4 5 6
4 5 6 7
5 6 7 1
6 7 1 2
7 1 2 3

It satisfies lane equity, but not opponent equity. For example, Car 1 races Car 2 three times, but Car 1 only races Car 5 one time, so it's not PPN

It's a "dumb" chart because the first race is poorly chosen, 1-2-3-4.

Here's a "smart" Lane Rotation chart:

1 3 5 2
2 4 6 3
3 5 7 4
4 6 1 5
5 7 2 6
6 1 3 7
7 2 4 1

This chart has a good first race, 1-3-5-2. It's a good first race because the resulting chart is PPN. And because the dimensions happen to work out just right, it's also PN.

This way of looking at things is where PPN came from.

Historically -- in the PWD community, at least -- PN came first, then CPN, then PPN. Logically, however, the order is different -- all CPN charts are PN, and all PN charts are PPN.

The way the information is displayed on the web sites does reflect the historical aspect, and admittedly this probably makes it all a little harder to digest.

One of the hard parts of all this is finding keys/generators/patterns or whatever you want to call them, for new combinations of cars, lanes, and rounds.

Stan and I do not have a quick and clean way to find them. We have to hunt them down ahead of time and then statically encode them into ppngen.html and ppn.dll.