What type of scheduling?

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What type of scheduling?

Post by Stan Pope »

pwrd by tungsten wrote: I wonder if the race would speed up if you raced two cars and then raced a diffrent set of cars... I think it might...
Avoiding a car running in successive heats is the main difference between "Phase shift" and PPN (for small numbers of rounds). From what the author said, if I recall correctly, you should look at the result and see that opponents are balanced. That is easy to do for 2 lanes but gets pretty darned dicey for 4 lanes, especially if a 2nd or 3rd round gets involved, where all of the conditions that I listed need to be satisfied within and among generators! PPN provides "best balance available". It looks at all the combinations of generators and picks the best. Since the search is really time consuming, it is done by a separate program and the results tabulated to be accessed when a chart is generated.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Stan - what output do you get from Cory Young's DerbySim and how do you interpret it?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

*5 J's* wrote:Stan - what output do you get from Cory Young's DerbySim and how do you interpret it?
There is a help button that gives a lot of good explanation about setting parameters and understanding results.

There are three main results.
1. How accurately the chart awards each of the first N trophies.
2. How accurately the chart places the N fastest among the top N places.
3. How accurately the chart places the M fastest among the top P places, with P stepped to show how many need to be selected in order to give high probability that the M fastest will be among those selected.

The results are shown as percentages. Without going too far wrong, you can interpret these as probabilities.

My web page at http://www.stanpope.net/pwmeval.html may be helpful in understanding the measures, as Cory used it as an outline for process development, then added some really nice improvements in setting simulation parameters.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Stan Pope wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:Stan - what output do you get from Cory Young's DerbySim and how do you interpret it?
There is a help button that gives a lot of good explanation about setting parameters and understanding results.

There are three main results.
1. How accurately the chart awards each of the first N trophies.
2. How accurately the chart places the N fastest among the top N places.
3. How accurately the chart places the M fastest among the top P places, with P stepped to show how many need to be selected in order to give high probability that the M fastest will be among those selected.

The results are shown as percentages. Without going too far wrong, you can interpret these as probabilities.

My web page at http://www.stanpope.net/pwmeval.html may be helpful in understanding the measures, as Cory used it as an outline for process development, then added some really nice improvements in setting simulation parameters.
Thanks Stan - I'm on my Mac now, I'll have to wait until later to check out DerbySim when I am on my PC.