Sutton excel spread sheet

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
harshawboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sutton excel spread sheet

Post by harshawboy »

We used the Sutton excel spreadsheet last year and liked it. it can be found here: http://home1.gte.net/chris.sutton/pine.htm" target="_blank
However the program is locked on line and the laptop it was crashed beyond repair. Does any one have a copy?

Thank you
Keith
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Sutton excel spread sheet

Post by Stan Pope »

Sorry, no.

If you strike out, Cory Young (coauthor of PPN scheduling software) has this excel race management spreadsheet that incorporates the PPN schedule software.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:welcome: Keith!
harshawboy wrote:Does any one have a copy?
Is this what you are looking for?
harshawboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by harshawboy »

Thank you
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rcmoeur »

Our Pack has used the Chris Sutton spreadsheet (3-lane flavor) for several years. It's a good resource for one run per lane, but we wanted to give the boys two runs per lane (we're not a huge Pack, and we wanted the boys to get more racing after all their hard work). So one thing led to another, and I ended up building a new spreadsheet for 2 runs per lane adapted from some of Mr. Sutton's ideas and using the Young / Pope Partial Perfect-N scheduling (thanks for making that available, even if I did have to boot up an old PC to access it). :)

I've posted a link to the sheet on my Pinewood Derby Stuff page at http://www.richardcmoeur.com/pwd.html

There are also a few other useful items on the page, such as proposed model rules for Districts and Packs within Grand Canyon Council, the Pinewood Derby plan sheet for car building (which can help satisfy several new Cub Scout Adventure items), and my presentation and handouts from my Pinewood Derby "how-to" class at our annual leader training day (Baden-Powell University) last weekend.

Constructive comments and feedback always welcome.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

rcmoeur wrote:... and using the Young / Pope Partial Perfect-N scheduling (thanks for making that available, even if I did have to boot up an old PC to access it). :)
Hmmm ... should run on all reasonably modern platforms if you allow the javascript to open extra windows (pop-ups). (Chrome users take note) Even runs on my low-end smart phone, tho multiple new windows may be an issue!

Please send along platform specifics and failure symptoms.
Stan
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rcmoeur »

Stan, I tend to spend what meager cash we have in our household on things other than new computers, so that might account for much of the difficulty (typing this on a decade-old PowerPC Mac which does just about everything I need it to, but might not run all page scripts flawlessly). My primary browser is a Firefox fork, and it generated the following errors:

This is the dialog box that would appear with no "special browser" boxes checked.

This is an excerpt of the chart that would appear with the "Netscape" box checked.

Again, the observation regarding "firing up the old PC" wasn't an editorial comment as to the (great) value of your webpages, but simply reflected that my particular combination of default hardware didn't mesh well with the generation script (and a workaround was found).

So meanwhile: does anyone have comments on the spreadsheet...?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Thanks ... Firefox on a 10+/- year old Power PC ... shoulda run! But doesn't.

Is it worth it to you to spend any time diagnosing/fixing? If so, click the "diagnostic" box, rerun your case, and email the resulting web pages along to me.
Stan