Suggestion needed.

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
jmalsa
Journeyman
Journeyman

Suggestion needed.

Post by jmalsa »

Okay pinewood is over for us in our pack and now I have to plan Space derby. Not until April but you can never be too prepared. We did a think tank last year after our Space derby and have come up with this.
So we are doing away with timing seeing our supertimer isn't quite designed for space derby and we have tried a few different ways to trigger the sensors and have had really no consistency. We still would like to make it competitive but fun most of all. So here is what we are doing.
Going to a point system based on distance. We are also having an 8 lane race because the kids just want to see their rockets race and 8 rockets at the same time is a spectacle. :jawdrop: We have a plan it is not at all equal for a competitive race but I think it will satisfy both fun and competitive natures.

So now to the question. We will have around 50-60 entries I am guessing. I would like a method that I can use that will allow 8 lanes with not everybody racing in all 8 through the entire race seeing we will be doing only 4 phases. I am guessing we could schedule more and just stop it early if needed due to time constraints. So if the method will only let you schedule 8 phases then so be it. We will see how it goes. I would like to make sure that the match-ups are mixed up. I need to get the schedule ahead of time for all the phases so the pit crew can start getting the rockets ready for the next phase while we are finishing the other one. I am not up on all the charts and how they work. I would like to use GPRM to create the schedule unless a spread sheet can do the same thing. Again I am not a math wiz or even a computer one. We will use a spreadsheet to keep track of the points and the ones with the highest total will be determined the winners.

So any suggestions on a method or how to generate a schedule based on what I have told you? :anyone:

Thanks, Joe
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Suggestion needed.

Post by rpcarpe »

I have ZERO experience in Space Derby, but I have run races on points.
Give points according to finish order, 8 pts to 8th place, 1 point to 1st place.
LOW scores win, like in golf.
Found this to be easier, no transposition of who got 4th and gets 5 points etc...

Good luck.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

If scoring by points, the most critical aspects are
1. an equal number of runs by each competitor, and
2. an equitable mix of opponents.

PWD needs an equal number of runs in each lane. Space Derby may not. (Dunno if this latter assertion is true or not, but is assumed in the question.)

Stearns in the most incremental way of satisfying #1 and 2 that I know of, since it creates schedules in increments of 1 heat per racer. I dunno if Stearns is among the options in GPRM, but software to create the schedules has been freely available for years.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
jmalsa
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jmalsa »

We are scoring by points but not based on finishing order. It is by distance. There are scoring zones and if you end up in a certain zone then you are awarded the points for that zone. Each zone is two points apart with a bonus point give to the leader in each zone. Say you hit the end you get lets say 10 points and all others in that zone would get 9 points. The zone before that is 7 points with the rocket that is the furthest in that zone getting eight points and so on down the line. It is something new we are trying and I will post how it goes in the space derby forum when the race has been completed.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:PWD needs an equal number of runs in each lane. Space Derby may not. (Dunno if this latter assertion is true or not, but is assumed in the question.)
There can easily be lane differences in a Space Derby track (difference in line tension, frays in the line, levelness of each line, etc.)
Stan Pope wrote:I dunno if Stearns is among the options in GPRM, but software to create the schedules has been freely available for years.
Nope. With GPRM someone can build a custom schedule or run a Dynamic schedule. With Dynamic scheduling, each run down the track for everyone is a Phase. You can do as many phases as you wish. Matchups in Phase 2+ are based on results from all previous phases. Of course, as with any scheduling method, Dynamic scheduling has its pros and cons that should be reviewed before using.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jmalsa
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jmalsa »

The problem with dynamic is I cannot get the next phase matchups until after the first phase is complete. I know there can be some differences in lanes. We do a pretty good job with tension. We run one continuous line hooked to a cargo strap crank and tighten it up that way. Our stands are anchored with other straps to weighted skids.

We are compromising on full equality for hopefully the fun/wow factor.

I am just looking for an easy way to generate a schedule.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Our experience with Space Derby...don't worry about brackets - worry about getting the flippant little rockets to actually cooperate and go down the track. "Who" races "who" is a far distant goal, once they flop off the hanger a dozen times. At least 'practice' with your "track" betwen now and April, to get the hang of it.