Creating data files using GPRM

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
Wheeler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Creating data files using GPRM

Post by Wheeler »

As always I am confused, I am going to be running three packs together next year, how do I go about the lay out when I create the race data file.

I want to run all packs together at once and then be able to separate them into individual packs so each pack has there own winners. Each pack in our district is allowed to send four racers to the generals.

I know using Groups and Subgroups is what I need to use but not sure on how I should lay it out, each pack has Bears,Wolves, Weblos.

So do I have a group (pack 923 with subgroup, wolves, bears, weblos) then Group pack 918 with subgroups wolves,bears,weblos .

I have watched video on making data files but I am still confused, maybe I am making it harder then it is.

By the way all the racers are winners :clap:

Thank you.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating data files using GPRM

Post by gpraceman »

Making a data file is different from setting up your group/subgroup structure. The data file is just where you store all of your race data for a particular race. The group structure dictates who are racing head-to-head. Subgroups have no bearing on who races head-to-head, they just let you subdivide the standings for the group into subsets.

With multi pack races, usually the race groups are setup by rank. So, all of the Tigers race together, Wolves together and so on. Is that what you are looking to do? Or are you looking to run each pack totally separate?

Another important consideration is how you want to score the race. Are you scoring by Times or Points? With times scoring racers are going against the clock, not the racers in the adjoining lanes. With points scoring, they get a number of points based on how they finish in a heat. There are a number of pros and cons to each scoring method. Those are detailed in the software's help file.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Wheeler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wheeler »

Ok can I create one data file with all three packs together?

I am time scoring, and I do want to run the packs together at the same time

I guess what I am asking is what the group/subgroup structure should look like for three packs racing together at once, and to be able to separate each pack with there ranks (Weblos,Bears,Wolves. So each pack have there own times placement for there individual packs.

Do I list it as subgroup ( Weblo433, Weblo418) to keep them in there own pack.

In order for me to understand this I need to see an example of an actual structure, before I will understand.

once it gets ponded into my head it will be another Aha moment.

Thank you for answering my post

Ken Wheeler
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Ken,

As long as you do not mind intermixing the packs together for racing, what I would recommend, with times scoring, is to race by rank. Create a race group for each rank (Tigers, Wolves, and so on.). So, all of the Tigers from all 3 packs will race mixed together, and so on for all of the other ranks. Your subgroups can then be setup based on their pack number. Then once racing is done, you can look at the subgroup standings to see how the times compared for all of Pack A's Tigers, Pack B's Tigers, Pack C's Tigers and so on for the other ranks.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Wheeler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wheeler »

Ok that sheds some light on the subject, Ill set it up that way and run a test run, I think this is what I am looking for.
Thank you for your response.

Last March I ran three Packs on three different nights in the same building, GPRM program was wonderful.
The second and third night I was able to run in hands free mode while I helped the Cubs place there cars on the start gate, worked like a charm

Ken Wheeler