How to guide for spreadsheet

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

How to guide for spreadsheet

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

Is there any guides for how to make a race schedule in a spreedsheet program so I can import it as a csv file?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to guide for spreadsheet

Post by Vitamin K »

bobcatbrown520 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 pm Is there any guides for how to make a race schedule in a spreedsheet program so I can import it as a csv file?

Do you mean creating a roster in a spreadsheet and then importing it into GPRM?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bobcatbrown520 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 pm Is there any guides for how to make a race schedule in a spreedsheet program so I can import it as a csv file?
Import into what? GrandPrix Race Manager?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

Vitamin K wrote:

Yes create in spreadsheet and import into gprm

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The specs are in the software's Help file. Simply put, the contents of your file can look like this 4 lane example, where each line is a heat:

For Versions 15 and below, those numbers must start at 1 and go up to the number of cars, with no number gaps.

for Versions 16 and above, you can do like V15 and below or use actual car numbers (can have number gaps).
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

bobcatbrown520 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:45 am
Vitamin K wrote:
Yes create in spreadsheet and import into gprm

I may have misunderstood your question, but if you're importing a roster, the format you need is:
(copied from the help menu in GPRM)
"Values are separated by commas or tabs, as applicable. The default column order is:
LastName, FirstName, Group, Subgroup, VehicleNumber, CustomField, PassedInspection, Image, Exclude
The data fields in bold are required. The rest are optional."

GPRM will assign the car numbers if you leave that field blank but I like to assign car numbers in numerical order to the registered racers and give the unregistered racers higher numbers so everyone in the pack is in the data file but the boys that aren't likely to show up don't leave empty holes on the staging table if that makes sense.

I just copy the roster from the pack's website, paste it into an Excel spreadsheet, configure it as above, save it in the .csv format, then import it into a new data file in GPRM. You don't need to create any groups or subgroups or anything like that, those will be created for you when you import your spreadsheet. I understand that GPRM now has a data mapping feature for importing that puts the data in the correct order but I just bought v17 and I haven't tried that yet. Our race isn't until next year so I'm not in a hurry, yet!
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

gpraceman wrote:The specs are in the software's Help file. Simply put, the contents of your file can look like this 4 lane example, where each line is a heat:

For Versions 15 and below, those numbers must start at 1 and go up to the number of cars, with no number gaps.

for Versions 16 and above, you can do like V15 and below or use actual car numbers (can have number gaps).
So if I need a BYE lane would it look like

0 1 2 3

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bobcatbrown520 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:41 pm So if I need a BYE lane would it look like

0 1 2 3
Yes, that is correct.
Randy Lisano

bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

gpraceman wrote:
bobcatbrown520 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:41 pm So if I need a BYE lane would it look like

0 1 2 3
Yes, that is correct.
Thanks that did the trick