Friction

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Cabrzama
Journeyman
Journeyman

Friction

Post by Cabrzama »

Let me bounce a couple more things I've read off the members of this group.

I've read that if you have one wheel higher (a front one) than the others so that only three wheels are fully touching the ground/track that the reduced friction makes the car faster. But to me it sounds like the car might wobble too much (slowing it down). Has anyone tried this?

Second, I've also read that tilting the axles slightly (about 5 degrees) so that the outside edge of the wheel is the only thing touching also cuts down on friction and aids in the speed. Has anyone tried this?

Again, I'm just a beginner so I rely on your expertise. Thanks, what a great group!
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Friction

Post by Barga Racing »

First off, welcome to the forum. Second if you check the car construction section (and you may already have) you will find several posts discussing friction of raised wheels as well as canting the axles. If you rear weight your car then having one front wheel raised is actually more stable. My experience shows that 3 wheelers are definitely faster than 4 wheelers. The theory however is not because of the reduced friction but because of the reduced linear angle. Gravitational pull only has to start 3 wheels rolling instead of 4, therefore giving a quicker start out of the gate. Also I have heard all the arguments for and against canted axles. I have used them with good success but after reading the arguments against them posted here I believe that a perfectly aligned car with flat axles will be faster. I used canted axles in the past because it is easier to get it to go straight. But if I may quote Stan Pope he said, "Going straight is good but not good enough". Therefore this year I am determined to spend whatever time it takes to get the alignment "dead on". Hopefully with my acquisition of the full line of pro tools this will be a much easier task. I hope I helped to answer some of your questions. If you have not done it and you have time, I recomend you and any other new members set down and browse all the sections to soak up as much knowledge as possible because alot of it is in there. If you still have questions feel free to ask. Somone, probably better versed than me, will be happy to help you out. Good Luck!
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

Cabrzama wrote: Second, I've also read that tilting the axles slightly (about 5 degrees) so that the outside edge of the wheel is the only thing touching also cuts down on friction and aids in the speed. Has anyone tried this?
I just reread your post and realized you said so the outside of wheel is only thing touching! When we used canted axles we tilted hem so inside edge was touching. This would force the wheels against the head of axle instead of the car. There woud be alot less friction against a highly polished underside of head versus the car body. Wheels that only touch on the outside edge would ride continouisly against the body creating lts of friction. Just make them flat and align them perfectly. Good Luck.
Cabrzama
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Cabrzama »

Yeah, I think I will just stick with the flat approach--maybe experiment with it more down the road. Thanks!