New Graphite Comparisons

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
bcatv
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: New Graphite Comparisons

Post by bcatv »

Well, our pack derby was today, and although I can't really attribute our cars' performance primarily to the lube (we made many changes from our first year effort last year), my oldest son did go undefeated in 24 races to take first in pack. So I don't think the PE Extreme graphite hurt us any:) However, given the comments of Buckeye and A1nogoslo, I would really like to do further testing, but since there does not appear to be a district competition here and I don't have a track, that may have to wait a while. I will be interested to hear the results from the others using this lube.
Cheers,
V
twojakes
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by twojakes »

For those of you using PW Extreme's graphite or other "new" graphite blends:

Have you changed the way you "break in" or apply the graphite compared to Hobelube?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

TJs

Dan
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Dan »

Buckeye wrote:Here is where to get the SB-10:

http://www.jenex.com/msrp.html

Here is where to get the Krytox;

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/
It appears to me that there are several different types of Krytox. Is this correct, and if so, which is best for PWD?
"Every day I beat my own personal record of the number of consecutive days I have been alive."
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Dan,

Although this thread is devoted to graphite... We have had success with Krytox 100. SB10 is Krytox 103.
Dan
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Dan »

Buckeye wrote:Here is where to get the SB-10:

http://www.jenex.com/msrp.html

Here is where to get the Krytox;

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/
I know this was originally a Graphite discussion, but I just want to throw one more piece of info out here.

Someone had mentioned earlier that it was difficult to find Krytox in small quantities. I just went to the web site listed above and was able to order a 1/2 ounce bottle for $18.

A little pricey, but we'll see how it stacks up.

One final question - it had been mentioned that it might not be a good idea to use a particular lube on an axle, try to clean it off, then try another for comparison. IS there an effective way to remove traces of lube, either dry or wet? Shouldn't I be able to take an axle and scrub it down with hot soapy water and remove all of the oil (or graphite)?

Maybe some other type of cleaner or thinner?
"Every day I beat my own personal record of the number of consecutive days I have been alive."
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Denatured alcohol.
Dan
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Dan »

How certain are you that it will remove all traces?
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Dan wrote:How certain are you that it will remove all traces?
Not entirely certain. I have used it to clean axles and wheel bore numerous times. Will it remove slightest trace of Krytox? Not absolutely sure, I never had cause to remove every trace of Krytox. Anyone else?
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Naptha (Ronson Lighter fluid in the yellow plastic squeeze bottle) would take it all off the axles. But I'd be more concerned about the wheel bore. I'd be concerned that strong solvents would cause harm to the plastic.
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
Pack38dad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Pack38dad »

We are going to try PE Extreme for our Council race. We used Tube O Lube for the pack and district race and finished first in division, second overall in both races.

Maybe it will give us that little push we need to pull out a 1st place...maybe.
There's nothing wrong with lead. I ate a ton of it as a child and I turned out ok!!!!
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

Denatured alcohol works great for me. Besides why would you want to remove all traces of Krytox? I have yet to find anything that works better on the BSA wheel. The $18 investment will last a lifetime of Derbys unless you race Wirl and test alot. :lol:
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Has anyone tried this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PINEWOOD-DERBY-SUPE ... dZViewItem

It's supposed to be a moly that "stays on".

Hmmmmm......

2kids10horses
Dan
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Dan »

Buckeye wrote:Denatured alcohol works great for me. Besides why would you want to remove all traces of Krytox? I have yet to find anything that works better on the BSA wheel. The $18 investment will last a lifetime of Derbys unless you race Wirl and test alot. :lol:
My reason for wanting to be able to remove all traces is that I am getting ready to build one of Stan's wheel-friction testers, and I thought it would give me the best comparison to use the same wheel-axle pair for all of the lubes I have collected over the past few weeks (Krytox, NyOil, PE Graphite, Hobby Lube and Tube-O-Lube).

My gosh - just being aware that I have bought all of these lubes made me finally realize that I have been bitten by the PWD bug!!! :D
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by M7 Racing »

Has anyone had any issues with Pinewood Extremes Exreme graphite running out too early? We switched for to the Extreme graphite for districts and we had the car significantly slow down in the championship races (which would of only been race #8 for the car because the needed to rerun on heat). We love working with the stuff but it is so fine that I am worried that it dropped out of the car too soon.

Personally we believe it is because of the mishandling of the race officials. We had 6 different race officials just come up to our car and tip in over and reinspect it troughout the race. Right before the championship race the last race official was so bad that after playing around with our car for about 10 mins I had to get through the crowd to ask her what was wrong.

So has anyone else seen this lube run out quick or do you think it was the constant turning over of the car? If the second, does anyone have any suggestions of how to try and stop that in the future?
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

i've noticed that too this year with my son's BSA car. At the pack race, we had a lot of races within the Weblos Division but still took 1st place, never losing a race, 12 total races. When we got to the finals we had another 6 races to find out who would get first. My son got 3rd place losing to the guy whom he beat in the Weblos Division and another youngster in another division.

At District it was too hard to tell but there were 6 races to get to finals, abd 6 races in finals. The Finals is where I noticed a serious slow down in the car. My son still got 6th place which was the final trophy.

J