Weight placement on long tracks

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
SpinDoctor
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Weight placement on long tracks

Post by SpinDoctor »

I read somewhere that on long tracks its is better to have the weight more centered instead of far back.

Is it just for better stability over a longer track or is there some physics to having the weight spread out on the flats vs. concentrated and getting maximun speed down the incline. Does it also make a difference between a steep vs. gradual incline.
FatAlbert'sRacing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Weight placement on long tracks

Post by FatAlbert'sRacing »

Doc,

I am working on that problem myself. My pack has a 60 foot track. I will start my test on it tomorrow, using 4 cars of the same shape. I will post my findings once we complete the test.
Down-N-Flames
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Down-N-Flames »

Wouldn't a better test be the same car with the weight moved? You could do a flat car with different peg holes that the weight could go in. That way you take out the wheels as an issue.

Just a thought.

Woody
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Down-N-Flames wrote:Wouldn't a better test be the same car with the weight moved? You could do a flat car with different peg holes that the weight could go in. That way you take out the wheels as an issue.

Just a thought.

Woody
An excellent thought, Woody!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

Down-N-Flames wrote:
You could do a flat car with different peg holes that the weight could go in. That way you take out the wheels as an issue.
You could use velcro strips on the top side of the car from front to back and just move the weight incrementally on the velcro. Could be a lot easier.
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--
ronin718
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ronin718 »

But many packs/districts stipulate that the weights must be permanently attached. Velcro isn't permanent.
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

ronin718 wrote:
But many packs/districts stipulate that the weights must be permanently attached. Velcro isn't permanent.
ronin718, This is just for testing. The velcro allows you to move the weight while running the car on a test track. When you find the ideal location you permanantly attach it.
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--
FatAlbert'sRacing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FatAlbert'sRacing »

I have 4 cars cut as wedges and matched the wheels. We did use the wood pegs and washers. We should be done by Friday with the test. The reason for 4 car 2 regulor wheel base and the other 2 extended. So far the weight on the standard wheel base is right in front of the axel. Center based weight seems to kill the car half way through the flat part. Remember we are using a 60 ft Challanger track from Beta Craft. :x I don't endorse this track just using what I have available.
ronin718
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ronin718 »

Humvderby wrote:ronin718 wrote:
ronin718, This is just for testing. The velcro allows you to move the weight while running the car on a test track. When you find the ideal location you permanantly attach it.
Gotcha....