Axle shaping

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Axle shaping

Post by mbb »

We won pack easily, and I know my axles and werent great. That got me wondering how we really did it, and if we can repeat next yr.

It occurred to me that if in the process of polishing your axles, you accidentally just make the shaft concave a little (a few thousandths)under the wheel hub, the wheel will ride only at the edges where the axle contacts the hub. It will try to stay centered, and not rub on the head or body.

A dial caliper and some controlled filing/polishing might be interesting here. Anyone tried this.?
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Axle shaping

Post by doct1010 »

I may have to search for specifics, however I recall some time ago Teryyep experimenting with such an arrangements. If memory serves, I believe he hammered it slightly then polished. Don't recall results.
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

mbb, You can accomplish the concave on the axle with a round file. We use one I had to sharpen my chain saw. We put the axle in the drill with an old wheel used as a guide. Just space the axle out enough where the file can rest against the old wheel. This way it won't move around and scratch the axle on the running surface. Be careful not to go to deep and weaken the axle. This method also works for doing the squared grooves if you don't have a drill press. In this case use a file with a flat surface. Our wheels are not as wide as BSA's so our groove had to be a little smaller. Once you cut the groove, sand the entire area with 400 sand paper until any deep scratches are gone. Then use your regular polishing method.
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Would a slight curve in the axle lined up such that the bow was upwards accomplish the same end goal?

The contact is between the bottom of the axle and bottom of the wheel bore I believe when the car is supporting itself...

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

Teeeman, I think it would be hard to get this kind of bend in the right spot. It would be easier for the boys to do and to duplicate with the file. Also I'd favor starting alignment with a straight axle.
BE A FISHER OF MEN!