Offset wheels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
fat elvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Offset wheels

Post by fat elvis »

After looking at the rules for wheel placement, I noticed I don't need to use the standard axel slots, but maintain a 4 1/2" separation. Now if I moved the left side rearward and the rightside forward, would I be able to have a car that is similar to a extended wheelbase?
Thanks
Fat Elvis
The Fat Man has left the Building
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Offset wheels

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

That wheel placement would let you put the COG farther back. It's still not going to give you all the benefits of a true extended wheel base. If I were you, before I built it. I would contact the derby chairman. It would depend on their ruling at inspection, but if I'm thinking correctly. Your right front and left rear would have almost six inches of seperation. Doesn't sound within the rules to me! But I like seeing people think outside the box!!
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

fat e,

Interesting thoughts! Good things can happen when you think outside the box... sometimes.

Even if the offset were legal, the offset wheelbases are probably less valuable than your ability to push the rear axles back to the limit, and, therefore, push your CM back to the limit!

The value of offset axles seems to be mainly reduced losses from bad track section joints. I don't know how small the offset can be and still help, and I'm sure that the the bigger the bump, the more offset is needed to minimize the loss. But, I think that if it takes more than a half inch, you really need to replace that track! Or keep quiet and work on your loss minimization techniques ... integrated wood springs and offset axles.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Wingman
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Wingman »

Stan Pope wrote:
The value of offset axles seems to be mainly reduced losses from bad track section joints.
I've wondered if one could also use the offset to make a variable force rail-rider. Intuitively, during the transition section of the track, it seems like the car will experience a turning moment toward the forward set rear wheel (the car has to tilt toward that side to keep three wheels on the track). Since things tend to get squirrelyest in the transition, rail riding force could be maximized during the transition with the offset and reduced on the drop and flats.

Ken