-|||===[ Check Your Rules ]===|||-

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

-|||===[ Check Your Rules ]===|||-

Post by gpraceman »

While there are lots of great discussions on Derby Talk about building techniques, "speed tips", specialized tools, lubricants, and use of after market parts, that doesn't mean that all of these are allowed by your race rules.

Before you start bulding your vehicle, CHECK YOUR RULES closely to see what is allowed and what is not. If you have any questions on the rules, ask your race coordinator for guidance.

Better to check before starting than to find out at check-in that your vehicle doesn't pass inspection. :oops:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
scargoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: -|||===[ Check Your Rules ]===|||-

Post by scargoz »

Ahhh .... I'm thinking if it is not spelled out it is allowed, right?

No mention of using the slots implies that you can put the axles anywhere? (Even on top for the ultimate 3 wheeler).

Or is it modern-day "stock" car racing interpretation - You must ask
if it is ok, and have official response before it is ok. (not that the
racing at this level would incurr multi-thousand dollar fines for
creativity?

My thinking is that we've got to take *everything* to tech (our first
derby), just in case. Hammer, wheels, axles, weight, paint, drill and
some glue (be prepared - not sure what the Daisys motto is - yet).

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

scargoz wrote:Ahhh .... I'm thinking if it is not spelled out it is allowed, right?
Not necessarily. Some rules are poorly written and some just use the ones in the box and there can be a wide amount of interpretation of the rules. If there is a doubt, ask the race coordinator for clarification.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

gpraceman wrote:
scargoz wrote:Ahhh .... I'm thinking if it is not spelled out it is allowed, right?
Not necessarily. Some rules are poorly written and some just use the ones in the box and there can be a wide amount of interpretation of the rules. If there is a doubt, ask the race coordinator for clarification.
This is so true. In my Godson's Pack, they follow the "rules in the box". Someone came with some narrowed wheels that they either spent a lot of time on, or money, and they weren't allowed to use them. Better to check before you do something that you think is in the grey area. Either that, or have a backup plan in case your car get's DQd.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

also with pack races you should check your district rules.
wouldn't want to win only to get disqualified at the district race.
in my case the pack rules where whats on the box.
but district was pretty clear 4 wheels flat on the track.
DCDAD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DCDAD »

I don’t understand why packs have different rules than the district. It seems like it’s just singing up for hassle. Our pack just adopted the district rules.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I can think of a couple of good reasons.
Your Pack does not have that horrible "4 on the ground" rule but your District does. All racers are given the District rules and notified of that rule. The racers who become eligible for the District, if they choose to go, will need to get the 4th wheel down. Since the 3 wheel rail rider has already been built to lower the 4th wheel with Negative Camber and toe-out, it will be a simple thing to make it District legal. This will relieve a terrible burden for all racers.

One of our Districts has no "Design" category. If the District has a 2 1/2" height limit but the Pack's timer will accommodate a 6" high car, raise the height limit and let them build what they want. If they win the speed contest they will not be eligible to go to district. Cars being built for speed will follow District rules.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Yep. We aren't BSA, but when there has been a regional derby, we have provided the rules to the regional derby to those who were interested, but we haven't changed our own rules.

Fortunately, there haven't been any big issues with the regional derby rules (such as a "four on the floor" rule). But we like to keep the rules for our local derby simple, and the regional derby rules are more complex than we like.