Are Nails Perfectly Round?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Are Nails Perfectly Round?

Post by Gavin Chafin »

I recall reading something once that said the shafts of nails are not perfectly round. It said they are out of round from between 5 to 10 thousands of an inch. If this is true, wouldn’t this slow the car down? Would it be beneficial to lightly run a file over the shaft to get the nail more round?
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Are Nails Perfectly Round?

Post by TurtlePowered »

They are surely not completly round. Check out the comments on the axel polishing thread right below here.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Gavin,

They are not round, but you do know how to fix them.

Hint: Tap, Tap, Tap.
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

I have measured almost .005 out of round but not any more than that. If you hold a file against the nail while it is spinning the file will simply follow the contour and you will have smaller diameter axles that are still out of round. If your rules allow it you could get machined axles such as aftermarket or Awana axles, or start tapping :)
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Wooden Wonder wrote:I have measured almost .005 out of round but not any more than that. If you hold a file against the nail while it is spinning the file will simply follow the contour and you will have smaller diameter axles that are still out of round. If your rules allow it you could get machined axles such as aftermarket or Awana axles, or start tapping :)
Ah, excellent point. Kind of like the same problem you have when you put a wheel into a mandrel and knife it as opposed to lathe-turning the wheel. But, I will say that if you file the nail, you may end up following the contour of the nail, but I'll bet it'd end up being more round after filing it than before filing it.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

RACER X wrote:Gavin,

They are not round, but you do know how to fix them.

Hint: Tap, Tap, Tap.
Speed, I thought that the purpose of the Tap, Tap, Tap tool was to straighten the nails. I didn't realize that it also made the nails more round. Way cool! (Note: I just threw in this "hip" term in an attempt to confuse Stan). :mrgreen:
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Wooden Wonder wrote:If you hold a file against the nail while it is spinning the file will simply follow the contour and you will have smaller diameter axles that are still out of round.
One of the general principles we try to teach in our derby workshops is the skill of letting the tool do the work. This looks like one of those situations. If you press the file against the axle, then it will tend to follow the contour of the spinning axle. If you "let the tool do the work" and hold the file so it lightly touches the axle, then it touches (and removes) only the high points.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

darin_mcgrew wrote: If you "let the tool do the work" and hold the file so it lightly touches the axle, then it touches (and removes) only the high points.
Well said Darin. Patience is a rare commodity. Same goes for wheel sanding using a drill press. Hold the paper to a block on the table and bring it to the wheel slowly so high spots will disappear.
Terry
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Gavin Chafin wrote:Way cool! (Note: I just threw in this "hip" term in an attempt to confuse Stan). :mrgreen:
Okay! Make fun of the old farts!

Well, if you're lucky, you'll be an old fart, too, someday! Kewl?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Gavin Chafin wrote:Speed, I thought that the purpose of the Tap, Tap, Tap tool was to straighten the nails. I didn't realize that it also made the nails more round. Way cool! (Note: I just threw in this "hip" term in an attempt to confuse Stan). :mrgreen:
Gavin, I think Stan caught ya!!! Watch, we will "Hip" Stan all up by just hanging around hear before too long.

Oh yes, the press will help make the nails, excuse me, the axles more round like. :wink:
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.