turning tools

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

turning tools

Post by Whistler »

We just spent a bit of time last night taking 2 1/2 thousanths off the tread of the BSA wheel that came with the kit. That seems to clean it up nicely, remove the sprue injection point and keep things concentric.

Got to say that the old UNIMAT I borrowed from my father really works like a charm for that. After I set it up, the boy got a real kick out of running the cutter back and forth. Whole lot easier and cleaner than the clamped drill/flat file we did last year. Of course the UNIMAT hadn't been used in some 20 years, so it took some time to recondition it (and grind out some cutters), but there is a real joy in using the right tool for the right job.

Now we'll have to see how it does for the final polishing and the axles.

Just wondering how many of the other pine heads out there have experienced the joy of using a precision mini lathe...
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: turning tools

Post by TurtlePowered »

Whistler wrote:We just spent a bit of time last night taking 2 1/2 thousanths off the tread of the BSA wheel that came with the kit. That seems to clean it up nicely, remove the sprue injection point and keep things concentric.

Got to say that the old UNIMAT I borrowed from my father really works like a charm for that. After I set it up, the boy got a real kick out of running the cutter back and forth. Whole lot easier and cleaner than the clamped drill/flat file we did last year. Of course the UNIMAT hadn't been used in some 20 years, so it took some time to recondition it (and grind out some cutters), but there is a real joy in using the right tool for the right job.

Now we'll have to see how it does for the final polishing and the axles.

Just wondering how many of the other pine heads out there have experienced the joy of using a precision mini lathe...
That's a negatory for me!