Needle Files

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Needle Files

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Whistler wrote:I'm certainly no expert polisher, but have some experience from polishing glass and my regime is more like this:

remove burrs and bevel head with needle file (takes off material and leaves better finish than typical triangular file in my experience)
What is a "needle file"?
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Needle Files

Post by Whistler »

Needle files are also called jewelers files. They can be purchased pretty cheaply at some hardware stores and, of course, are often available on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting for example. Sorry would insert an image if I knew how.

IN any case you can even find these files as diamond impregnated (which I've not used) and in different abrasive levels. One of the advantages is that very often the files have flat "edges" so the gouging into the axle while finishing the head that was mentioned on another thread becomes less of an issue.
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Whistler »

Forgot to mention that I don't use the needle file on the wheels, only on the axles. Obviously for the wheels it makes more sense to use a wide, flat file instead
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Whistler wrote:Forgot to mention that I don't use the needle file on the wheels, only on the axles. Obviously for the wheels it makes more sense to use a wide, flat file instead
I understood it that way. I've never been quite satisfied by the control I've gotten with a small triangular file. I'll definitely be stopping by Home Depot tonight. Thanks.
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Whistler »

Hope that HD carries them. If it is out of your way I'd call first.

BTW checked out your site. Got some great laughs. Do you do your own illustrations?
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

Whistler wrote:Forgot to mention that I don't use the needle file on the wheels, only on the axles. Obviously for the wheels it makes more sense to use a wide, flat file instead
Did a quick google on needle files, saw there was a variety of different shapes. Do you have any recommended types/shapes?
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Hope that HD carries them. If it is out of your way I'd call first.
Just stopped by Home Depot. Nothing called “Needle files, but for $16 I purchased a 6-piece set of “Miniature Files” made by Nicholson (and I’ve found that Nicholson makes pretty good files). The files are recommended for “hobbyists who need to do detailed/intricate work." I think they’re going to work pretty well. I believe that the tiny circular file should do the trick. Now I’ll check out “Needle Files” on Google.
BTW checked out your site. Got some great laughs. Do you do your own illustrations?
Nah. That half of my brain was never properly developed. I do the bulk of the writing.
Splinter Sprinter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Splinter Sprinter »

Gavin Chafin wrote:What is a "needle file"?
Gavin or anyone else, one good place to look for needle files is www.micromark.com. They have a great catalog or you can buy online tons of cool little tools for close work. The Swiss Pattern Needle file set, 12 pcs. for $12.95 is great. I‘ve had mine for 5 years and have used them for a lot of workshops, You can’t go wrong. You might want to try and carve groves or a channel for your speed axles with this set using a rotary tool or drill. It’s pretty easy. An easy way to do this is cut one of your spare wheels in half (mold # 13 is good) right down the middle of the hub. Then lay your unfinished axle in the hub grove. Pull the axle out a little (credit card width or so for clearance) and mark with a sharpie directly on the axle where you think the grove should go. That way, the channel will stay inside the hub and hold your graphite.

For working on axles if you can’t find Needle or Rifle files, a good substitute is your wife’s nail file or emery boards. Just don’t let her know what you’re up to!

Also on the tool subject, if you’re a dedicated pinehead, (everyone on this site would be considered full-blown) a good 10X jewelers loop or pick glass is a must to really view your new gleaming axles.
Pinewood Derby- It’s not the destination, but the journey,for Two-There is no finish line!
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Also on the tool subject, if you’re a dedicated pinehead, (everyone on this site would be considered full-blown) a good 10X jewelers loop or pick glass is a must to really view your new gleaming axles.
I had never even heard of a “Jeweler’s Loupe” before. Went to E-bay and checked it out. They’re pretty cool. Just bought a 10X one. And, there’s tons of them out there. Should be much better than my 6X magnifying glass. Great info. Thanks.
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Whistler »

As for shape of needle file, it all depends on what you are doing with it. As I use it only for removing burrs and reshaping the axle head I use a small flat file without a cutting edge on the thin side. If you plan to use it for cutting grooves a round or half round will work pretty well.

I suggest you buy a set of jewelers/needle/riffler files and experiment. For the cost they are great tools, and used carefully (i.e. don't try to file your tungsten disks...) will last virtually forever.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

I just tried using the miniature files I purchased at Home Depot yesterday. I like them a lot. The tiny triangular file is fantastic and there’s even a tiny square file (4 sides as opposed to 3), which is great for removing the burr as well. There’s also a super-fine flat file which is great for removing the casting marks.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Gavin, We went by Lowes today and I picked up a new Nicholson triangular file to try out. We already have a set of the smaller files and normally use the rectanglular shaped file you described for burr removal. I did see some carbide needle files while at the Micro-Mark site... perhaps a late Christmas present for a good little pinehead :wink:

Da Graphite Kid
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Whistler wrote:As for shape of needle file, it all depends on what you are doing with it. As I use it only for removing burrs and reshaping the axle head I use a small flat file without a cutting edge on the thin side. If you plan to use it for cutting grooves a round or half round will work pretty well.

I suggest you buy a set of jewelers/needle/riffler files and experiment. For the cost they are great tools, and used carefully (i.e. don't try to file your tungsten disks...) will last virtually forever.
Those miniature files (made by Nicholson) that I purchased from Home Depot are essentially needle files. And, they are absolutely perfect for removing the burr, filing off the casting marks, and beveling back the underside of the head. I don't know how I got along with only using a small triangular file before.