Scroll Saw vs. Band Saw

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Scroll Saw vs. Band Saw

Post by ciodude »

Bubba suggested I start a new thread as we diverged on my last one.

Bubba has a band saw and indicated he might wish he has a scroll saw instead. I was about to go and get myself a band saw. I have been going to my father-in-laws and "borrowing" his big ancient band saw. It shimmys and shakes no matter how much adjusting and tightening we do - making the kids go through double duty on the sanding side. Always the one to look for nrw opportunities to get new tools for my tiny shop, I thought I'd go out and get a smaller saw. I started out looking at scroll saws, but was told at my local Home Depot that they couldnt cut the main pine block, that they are designed to cut woods less then 1" thick. One of the other things I didnt like much was no guide posts on the scroll saws. On the smaller (7 or 9" versions) band saws, you have multiple guide rails that can guide you to cut your wood even at any angle.

So I call upon all you long time pinewooders, what do you use and what would you recommend I get for my little derby shop?
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Scroll Saw vs. Band Saw

Post by TAL »

Sounds like the man at home depot needs a lesson in scroll saws...
My dremel scroll saw will cut up to 2" thick...
The Type and size of the blade on a scroll saw will make the difference in what you can cut and how sharp you can turn while cutting ... Also a varible speed will make the difference...
Mine is a Dremel 16" varible speed scroll saw (Model 1680)... Unlike many other scroll saws I have seen, This one will angle the table at 45 degree either way (left or right)...I would look for that feature if you are seeking a scroll saw...
Far as small resonable priced tools, I like the DELTA stuff that Lowes Home Improvement carries...

You can get a drill press, band saw, table saw, belt/disc sander (1" or 4") for $99.00 each and sometime those items will be on sale for $89.00 each... The Delta planner is nice at $199.00 ( maybe $209.00 Now)...

I mean, these are some decent tools for the hobbiest that uses them occasionally...

Home depot carries the Ryobi versions in the same $99.00 price range...
But if you have the cash and want some really nice tools I have 1 word

DEWALT !!!!!!!!!!!
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I'm sorry about starting a similar thread.

I wanted to discuss a few points, didn't want to go off topic where this started, and couldn't wait.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

I bought the Ryobi 16" scroll saw from HD and it was $99.00. :D

It will cut the 2" block but it has to work at it. :)

A good band saw would cut it easier I think. :?:

The scroll saw is a lot easier for me to carry with me and let others use it.

In the great scheme of things if you can afford them "Get Both"! :lol:

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

BigDozer66 wrote:In the great scheme of things if you can afford them "Get Both"! :lol:
Or get one this year and the other next year.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Thanks again all for the commentary and sharing.

Pinewood Daddy - no issues!

TAL, Dozer - I was looking at some of the $99 stuff from HD. I had to replace my lawn tractor this year and am trying to get a nice ring for the wife for our 10th anniversary, so both are out of the question for now. One this year and maybe one next year might be doable though (although there is that whole really-would-like-to-have-a-test-track-thing). :)
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

Last year I discovered this tool store called Harbor Freight (HF). They sell cheap stuff very, very inexpensively. In other words, the quality is not always that great but the prices are unbelievably cheap.

In addition you can find great coupons for the store often on www.fatwallet.com. Coupons as high as 25% off an already very marked down price. So if you can be patient you wait until the item goes on deep discount. Most things once every two months. Then bring in your coupon. I filled my workshop with tools this way last year.

They also will price match their stores online price. Many times things are cheaper on their web site. Just print it off, they can't access at the store, and then they will give you the coupon off that price.

So in summary

- Their starting prices are very cheap
- They significantly discount their already cheap starting price about once
every two months
- They then allow you to use coupons, 10, 20, 25% off that price.

End results. Very good deal on tools.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

PWD - do you live in Camarillo A such that you can go in and see/buy directly or do you mail order from Harbor Frieght? You mentioned them in an earlier post somewhere and I actually noted them in my rolodex.

Would you mind sharing what specific tools and models you've bought from them and had success with?
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

PWD wrote:Last year I discovered this tool store called Harbor Freight (HF). They sell cheap stuff very, very inexpensively. In other words, the quality is not always that great but the prices are unbelievably cheap.
We have a cheap import tool store in our town - Metro Tools. They also have a branch in Pennsylvania somewhere. I bought 2 small drill presses this year for $39 each!! I measured .001 runout in the chuck, but .005 slop in the bearings. Last year I bought lots of squeeze type bar clamps for $3 to $4 each! Ton's of other cheap stuff, good enough for the casual user.
Davhamm
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Davhamm »

Can't do this with a bandsaw

or this

PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

We have a couple of local Harbor Freight stores. I have not purchased from them online because the coupons only work in the store. Wow taking inventory what I purchase is scary to see it all. But I have purchased.

- 16 speed floor drill. Incredible deal. Not very good quality. Looks really cool in my workshop.
- Disc sander. I think it is 12". This thing is unbelivably powerful. I love it. It is somewhat scary to use.
- Mini mill. I really like this tool. I cut some metal but mostly use it for working on wood PWD cars.
- Couple of cheap test indicators. Very happy
- Couple of the $10 scales. Love them. Perfect for checking weight distribution
- 4x6 metal bandsaw. Almost never use. Impulse buy and really did not need.
- SAE and metric hex key wrench sets. Work well for me. Really cheap
- 115 pc drill bit set. Very happy with it
- Couple cheap tap and die sets. Has worked well for me but not used much.
- Many assorted other things, stools, tables for my tools, etc.

I have heard good things about their 14" floor bandsaw. I have a 12" Craftsman because I really liked the table. Turned out to be pretty junky and probably should have purchased the HF one.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

ciodude wrote:Thanks again all for the commentary and sharing.

Pinewood Daddy - no issues!

TAL, Dozer - I was looking at some of the $99 stuff from HD. I had to replace my lawn tractor this year and am trying to get a nice ring for the wife for our 10th anniversary, so both are out of the question for now. One this year and maybe one next year might be doable though (although there is that whole really-would-like-to-have-a-test-track-thing). :)
The ring for the wife is very important. Without the wife and family none of this other stuff would mean anything. :D

My scroll saw is on loan to one of my Cubs now.

I bought a new Shaft Drive Cub Cadet 2 years ago so that is out of the way. 8)

The band saw was calling my name when I walked by it today at HD. :lol:
I was picking up a few last minute things before our Derby tomorrow.

My 40' 3 lane Piantedosi Freedom Aluminum "Test Track" arrived last week! :mrgreen:

I have to head to bed to get rested up for tomorrow. :wink:

Lynn

BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

Davhamm wrote:Can't do this with a bandsaw

or this

I can't even do that with my scroll saw! :shock:

Very nice work there! :)

My daughters name is Sarah and I am "Dad" on days that begin with "T"...Today and Tomorrow! :lol:

Lynn

Davhamm
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Davhamm »

Thanks, I'll pass it along to my daughter she did it. It's not that hard, just draw what you want on the block. If the cut out is trapped drill a small hole in the cut out so can pass the blade through. then start cutting. We did 3 prototypes to get the look correct.

[/img]
Doug-in-the-woods
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Doug-in-the-woods »

YES you can cut a 2inch block with a scroll. A scroll saw will leave less marks for sanding.
use a # 9 or 12 blade. I like the reverse blades.
Detail - no problem