Mini, i.e. affordable, hobby lathe?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mini, i.e. affordable, hobby lathe?

Post by Stan Pope »

threader wrote:... but I just haven't got any good mandrel ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Pardon me if I structure my response as a "discovery experience."

Observation: True centering on the hub bore is critical. The shaft of the mandrel must be the primary reference surface.

Question 1: What is the relationship between the wheelwell surface and the bore?

Question 2: What do you have to do to prevent deflection of the mandrel?

Question 3: At what radius should the wheel be "gripped" to minimize slippage?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
threader
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by threader »

Thanks to Stan! :D

With Stan's guiding question format I have developed a workable mandrel for the lathe. 8)

Indeed this forum is a great help. :D :D

Thanks to Wooden Wonder as well who helped me with some items I can't get here. :D

threader
twojakes
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by twojakes »

STAN POPE WROTE:

I've cut a trial mandrel for holding wheels. I've cut a few wheels for practice and see that my mandrel concept holds, okay. Need to make a "final version" to label and put in the tool box.

I've made the obligatory "brass hammer" (looks really sharp, but too shiney to photograph well with a flash) and a set of four 5.000 oz brass check weights (my CS-200 scales are complicated for calibration, and need quick check for "recalibration needed" during inspection. My 0.001oz scale is too "goosey" ... and too accurate ... for use at district races.)

Still learning.

Stan:

I would love to see pictures of your final setup for your hobby/mini-lathe. I don't know a Tailstock from an HSS cutter. A picture is worth a thousand words to us non-lathe users. I for one would love to see your setup if you get the chance.

Thank you for your incredible contributions to this forum.

Two Jakes.