How fanatical are you guys? (Instrumenting a car.)

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
wonderer
Pine Head
Pine Head

How fanatical are you guys? (Instrumenting a car.)

Post by wonderer »

In response to an older post by GravityRacer...
GravityRacer wrote:What we need is a driver to give us feedback about how it's loose in the turns, etc. I realize that our eyeballs can't give us all we need to analyze the situation, so we have to rely on guesswork and inductive logic to get the cars to be fast. I have some ideas about that, but I'm cautious enough not to say anything until I am actually sure that they make sense, since sometimes they end up in the dumpster.
I'm wondering if there would be enough interest in a 'car computer' to justify developing it. (I'm not looking to make any money on this, just checking to see if there is interest.)

I'm thinking a little circuit board with fore and aft accelerometers and 5 optical sensors. (One optical sensor looking for a white spot inside each wheel to get an RPM reading, and one looking down at the track to detect timing marks on the center rail.) Any other ideas for instrumenting a PWD car would be welcome.

I'd love to have one of these myself right now, because we won pack, but we did it with a really bad wobble, and we only won by ~0.01 seconds. For what it's worth we set a track record by 0.02 seconds. I'd love to cure the wobble before district, but I'm afraid that tinkering too much without knowing the source of the problem is likely to result in a slower car rather than a faster one.
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How fanatical are you guys? (Instrumenting a car.)

Post by GravityRacer »

Yeah, my little plastic Webelos Scout PWD car driver doesn't talk much...

You'd probably have to do RF transmit to keep a cable from interefering with the data.

There are packages out there that may be small enough. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to put the package where it gives the correct cg. In fact, you could make it adjustable fore-aft to measure the effect of the location of the cg vs track behavior.
Bathtub
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Bathtub »

What kind of instrumentation.... hmm I'd like to see a strain gauge on each corner transmitting real time weight on each wheel. On my outlaw car I played with the COM, not front to back or up or down but left to right. I have no proof but I think that might have been the deciding factor in my winning.
wonderer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by wonderer »

GravityRacer wrote:You'd probably have to do RF transmit to keep a cable from interefering with the data.
I was thinking the device would have a micro USB or RS-232 connector, and just log the data until hooked up to a computer. I suppose Bluetooth could be designed in, but I wouldn't want to mess with that. (Added weight and power consumption in addition to technical issues, and perhaps FCC requirements.)
GravityRacer wrote:There are packages out there that may be small enough. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to put the package where it gives the correct cg. In fact, you could make it adjustable fore-aft to measure the effect of the location of the cg vs track behavior.
I'm thinking custom circuit board, to meet our weight requirements. I don't think we'd be likely to find the functionality we'd want without a custom design. I think the circuit board itself could come in at well under half an ounce, with off-board sensors adding no more than another half an ounce.

For me, acquiring the data would be the easy part. It's knowing how to interpret the data in a useful way that would be more of a problem.
wonderer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by wonderer »

Bathtub wrote:What kind of instrumentation.... hmm I'd like to see a strain gauge on each corner transmitting real time weight on each wheel. On my outlaw car I played with the COM, not front to back or up or down but left to right. I have no proof but I think that might have been the deciding factor in my winning.
I may well be wrong... (Mechanical instrumentation isn't really my thing.) But wouldn't two 3 axis accelerometers allow for extracting nearly as much relevant data as strain gauges on each corner? It looks like the strain gauges would be doable, but I suspect they might be a calibration nightmare. Like I said though, I'm pretty ignorant about applications for mechanical sensors, so tell me what you'd be looking for in the way of interesting data from strain gauges.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Why two accelerometers?
Bathtub
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Bathtub »

wonderer wrote:
Bathtub wrote:What kind of instrumentation.... hmm I'd like to see a strain gauge on each corner transmitting real time weight on each wheel. On my outlaw car I played with the COM, not front to back or up or down but left to right. I have no proof but I think that might have been the deciding factor in my winning.
I may well be wrong... (Mechanical instrumentation isn't really my thing.) But wouldn't two 3 axis accelerometers allow for extracting nearly as much relevant data as strain gauges on each corner? It looks like the strain gauges would be doable, but I suspect they might be a calibration nightmare. Like I said though, I'm pretty ignorant about applications for mechanical sensors, so tell me what you'd be looking for in the way of interesting data from strain gauges.
Sorry I wasn't thinking mechanical but electrical. The tiny circuit board inside a Load cell is sometimes refered to as a strain gauge. It is membrane thin and would allow for a very accurate measurement of force on the corners.

Stolen from an Omega website
"What is a Load Cell?
A load cell is a transducer which converts force into a measurable electrical output. Although there are many varieties of load cells, strain gage based load cells are the most commonly used type.

Load Cell History
Before strain gage-based load cells became the method of choice for industrial weighing applications, mechanical lever scales were widely used. Mechanical scales can weigh everything from pills to railroad cars and can do so accurately and reliably if they are properly calibrated and maintained. The method of operation can involve either the use of a weight balancing mechanism or the detection of the force developed by mechanical levers. The earliest, pre-strain gage force sensors included hydraulic and pneumatic designs. In 1843, English physicist Sir Charles Wheatstone devised a bridge circuit that could measure electrical resistances. The Wheatstone bridge circuit is ideal for measuring the resistance changes that occur in strain gages. Although the first bonded resistance wire strain gage was developed in the 1940s, it was not until modern electronics caught up that the new technology became technically and economically feasible. Since that time, however, strain gages have proliferated both as mechanical scale components and in stand-alone load cells. Today, except for certain laboratories where precision mechanical balances are still used, strain gage load cells dominate the weighing industry. Pneumatic load cells are sometimes used where intrinsic safety and hygiene are desired, and hydraulic load cells are considered in remote locations, as they do not require a power supply. Strain gage load cells offer accuracies from within 0.03% to 0.25% full scale and are suitable for almost all industrial applications.

The acctual wheatstone bridge circuit for this application is printed on a membrane in most cases. Very small, and could be taped to the car.

Just sitting here comptemplating. I guess I could find out what I want to know if I had four scales, one for each corner but would never really know unless I could measure the weight in motion. The car would have to have some sort of suspension all be it would have to be hard. At this size you might have to make all your instrumentation from hand. This I think would give you a good idea of what part COM and aerodynamic's play.

I can understand the three points of vibration, but without knowing the forces at the corners while at speed and trending them agaisnt the vibration will you see a true picture of what the car is doing.

An example would be a bump on the track, You should see a change in weight all for corners, change in vibration (At least 2 axis) and a reduction in speed. With these variables you should be able to massage a car to perfect speed.
wonderer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by wonderer »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Why two accelerometers?
My thinking is that two accelerometers would allow for triangulation which would enable pinpointing the force vectors involved. I'm starting to see why Bathtub wants strain gauges though. Like I said, I don't know much about instrumentation for analyzing mechanical designs, so I'm open to suggestions on what would provide the most useful data.

I suppose real-time monitoring of each wheel's orientation would be handy to have as well. I'm not sure how that could be pulled off though.
Bathtub
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Bathtub »

Wonderer, what if you filmed the run with a high speed film camera like the folks on Mythbusters use. You could then slow down the footage to a speed that you can analyze the run with the data.
wonderer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by wonderer »

Bathtub wrote:
wonderer wrote:...Like I said though, I'm pretty ignorant about applications for mechanical sensors, so tell me what you'd be looking for in the way of interesting data from strain gauges.
Sorry I wasn't thinking mechanical but electrical. The tiny circuit board inside a Load cell is sometimes refered to as a strain gauge. It is membrane thin and would allow for a very accurate measurement of force on the corners.
By "mechanical sensors" I meant sensors for measuring mechanical phenomena. I've got a lot more experience dealing with Volts, Amps, and Ohms than with grams, Newtons and G's.
Bathtub wrote:The acctual wheatstone bridge circuit for this application is printed on a membrane in most cases. Very small, and could be taped to the car.
I did do some looking into strain gauges. Like you say, the actual sensor is simple and can be tiny. I don't have a good mental image of how you'd attach the strain gauge though.
Bathtub wrote:Just sitting here comptemplating. I guess I could find out what I want to know if I had four scales, one for each corner but would never really know unless I could measure the weight in motion. The car would have to have some sort of suspension all be it would have to be hard. At this size you might have to make all your instrumentation from hand. This I think would give you a good idea of what part COM and aerodynamic's play.
Would the strain gauge be built into the suspension then? (i.e. The strain gauge would be glued to some slightly flexing element in the suspension.)

Unfortunately doing something like this runs contrary to what I'd envisioned as something that anyone could mount to a car and get a useful log of events occurring as the car goes down the track. My impression is that the load cells would have to be pretty tightly integrated into the design of the car itself to be of any use.
Bathtub wrote:I can understand the three points of vibration, but without knowing the forces at the corners while at speed and trending them agaisnt the vibration will you see a true picture of what the car is doing.

An example would be a bump on the track, You should see a change in weight all for corners, change in vibration (At least 2 axis) and a reduction in speed...
Yeah, I'm seeing why 'just acceleration' is way less than ideal. There's a lot of information about the interaction between the car and the track that wouldn't show up in the output of accelerometers.
Bathtub wrote:...With these variables you should be able to massage a car to perfect speed.
"Perfect speed" huh? :mrgreen:

I'd be happy with just tracking down and eliminating blatantly obvious wobble for now.

In any case, it's fun to think about what could be done.
wonderer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by wonderer »

Bathtub wrote:Wonderer, what if you filmed the run with a high speed film camera like the folks on Mythbusters use. You could then slow down the footage to a speed that you can analyze the run with the data.
That would be ideal. Having the logged data synced up to excellent video footage would really let you see every aspect of what's going on with the car. Of course, you'd probably want three different cameras, and you'd want them mounted on a rig that would move with the car, and maintain sharp focus. Now if we can get the mythbusters guys to do an episode on pinewood derby myths, and finance our research, we'll be all set.
Bathtub
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Bathtub »

You never know...I asked a regional VP for Banner/Turk to build me a wireless Type J Thermocouple transmitter that would work with their new wireless I/O system. Not only did they build it I proto typed it for them in an extreme heat/ 100% interference test for nearly a year for free. I guess I'm gonna have to write them a white paper at some point, cause other than riping the thing off the kiln I can not tear it up.

This project could be done by Myth Busters....but would you want everyone in the world to know the information gained from such tests?
Fatdaddy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Fatdaddy »

Bathtub wrote:
This project could be done by Myth Busters....but would you want everyone in the world to know the information gained from such tests?
We've won the pack 2 years in a row, using the same ideas. I still have fathers telling me the weight of the car and it's placement doesnt matter. You could show the info to everyone, but most won't use it. Too high of a percentage of the population think they know eveything :)
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

Ain't that the truth, Fatdaddy! If all that edumacation we get all stuck, we'd be driving Jetsonmobiles to work (on the days when the terabit computer hooked to your head isn't good enough)!
Fatdaddy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Fatdaddy »

GravityRacer wrote:Ain't that the truth, Fatdaddy! If all that edumacation we get all stuck, we'd be driving Jetsonmobiles to work (on the days when the terabit computer hooked to your head isn't good enough)!
My favorite exchange this season went like this:

Mom (aka High School Science Teacher): Where should I put the weight
Me: In the rear. Make sure the COM is somewhere near 1"
Mom: shouldn't matter, physics tells me it will go the same speed regardless of where I put the weight
Me, after picking my jaw up off the floor in wondering who taught her physics class: Physics tells me that the further back and higher up the weight is on the incline, the more potential energy created, hence more speed

She looked at me like I had 3 heads. Her son didnt win a race all day, even after I had offered to teach him how to do wheels and axle's at the clinic where this exchange took place. Some people just can't be wrong :)