New way to apply graphite

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
lyonsperf
Journeyman
Journeyman

New way to apply graphite

Post by lyonsperf »

Hi all,
I wanted a way to apply graphite to my son's wheels without making a mess. Our pack rules require that the cars be clean with no graphite residue. So I came up with this mod for the Max-V lube bottle.
1. Remove the screw on top from the Max-V lube bottle and slice 1/16" of the tip of the applicator.
2. Get a unused straw from a can of brake clean or wd-40. You know the red ones everybody throws away.
3. Lightly heat one end of the straw with a lighter or small torch. This takes less than a second under the flame to make it soft.
4. Then push the pointed end of a nail into the softened end of the straw to make a flare.
5. Slide the straw into the applicator tip from the thread side so that the flare you just made mates with the end of the tip.
6. (Optional) secure the starw to the tip with super glue.
I found that the red rubber cap that comes with the Derbyworx coning tool fits nicely on the end of the straw to prevent spills.
The longer starw allows you to pinpoint the graphite application without dusting everything else.
Hope this helps somebody! :D
batstar70
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: New way to apply graphite

Post by batstar70 »

Great tip. Some times the simple ones work the best. Thanks
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Clever! Thank you.
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

You are a genious!!! or did you get this from "Red Green". Did I mis something or wasn't there to be some ducttape in there somewhere? :)

Great tip, thanks!
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I cover the car with plastic wrap when applying graphite. Then you can pour in the graphite, spin the wheels and not have to worry about making a mess of the finish.