Google SketchUp

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Google SketchUp

Post by Rod Turnbull »

With wheels... you know I should be working on my PWD car... this is eating into my shop time :eek:

douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

Hey Rod, I've been out of touch.

The wheels look good. I'll get back to you on Perl.
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

OK, Rod. Sorry. Maybe I can think a little straighter now.

One, they are not Perl, but Ruby scripts. Wrong script. Sorry! :oops:

Two, "stitcher" is really good on PC. Reports seem to be mixed on Macs. This is availabe N/C from Smustard.com. Stitcher eliminates all of the hand stitching with compound curves, but it's not a one click deal. The curves are "stitched" two at time then stitched together. I have not used it too much, but for fenders, etc. I think it'll be great.

You asked about BSA wheels. I had thought that I'd like to contrubute a nice one but have been putting it off. Yours look good but I still might try to put up one for anybody that would like to use it.

Stay in touch

douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

An example of two curves stitched, then stitched together.

Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

I realize that is just an example but a simple shape like the fender you have there wouldn't be worth loading another program... but I will check it out as I see what you are getting at by stitching the parts together, it might save me a lot of time on the complex stuff.
This took 3 minutes to do in SketchUp:
How long did yours take in the other program?

Now this is where my problem lies, which I'm thinking I can put this to a practical use:
You will notice a few black lines in yard, these are spots that didn't mesh together well or 2 grouped objects that didn't stitch together well.

And when you get down to fiddly little details of the fenders running into other convexed and/or concaved shapes that is even more ugly than my front yard... so I will give it a try.

One thing I did notice making that car was that it is easier to seek out the end node when trying to fill in an object and close them first, if that doesn't close the area try the mid points but don't go any farther if it doesn't close, erase a few lines and build the object again because something did not connect on the same plane and most of the time it is faster to do it over than to look for the problem and try to fix it by adding lots of little patchwork stuff in place. What it comes down to is that it's big and simple or it's wrong, fix it.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Oh and do a search in the 3Dwarehouse for a PWD Wheel... I left a version of the one on my car there... it is basically the same but I have added the spokes.
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

Oh and do a search in the 3Dwarehouse for a PWD Wheel... I left a version of the one on my car there... it is basically the same but I have added the spokes.

It looks good. I put mine out there too if anybody's interested. I snagged your spokes. They (the attempt at the spokes) were making me crazy. Hope you don't mind.
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

How long did yours take in the other program?

Wow. Not long. A few minutes I reckon.

As with so many "improvements" they can be more trouble than they are worth. I have, however, had problems stitching as I have a knack for reversing some of the faces. I have no idea what's my problem :D

I think "weld" and "stitcher" will be a-ok when I get more comfortable with it. We still have the challenge of constructing all of those profiles.

Any ideas on that?
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

if that doesn't close the area try the mid points but don't go any farther if it doesn't close, erase a few lines and build the object again because something did not connect on the same plane and most of the time it is faster to do it over than to look for the problem and try to fix it by adding lots of little patchwork stuff in place.

Please be reminded that "weld" will close the curve for you, and generate faces if you like.

I haven't done much of this but I'm anxious to get on the profiles and see what's going to be involved with more complex shapes.

An E-Jag fender can't be too easy. Good source material is not always easy to find. But, for cars, http://www.the-blueprints.com/ is real good.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

All what profiles? I have not tried the weld program yet.

As for the wheel, no problem using the spokes... but when I down loaded your wheel, all I got was the spokes and the nail head... you might want to check into that.

And the blue print site is sweet, that is going to save me a ton of fiddling with photos.
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

all I got was the spokes and the nail head... you might want to check into that.

Oops. Thanks for the heads up and the ok on the spokes.

I'll check it out.
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

all I got was the spokes and the nail head...

I think I complicated things with too many layers. Please make sure all your layers are on and let me know.

Thanks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

douginala wrote:all I got was the spokes and the nail head...

I think I complicated things with too many layers. Please make sure all your layers are on and let me know.
When quoting someone, you can simply click on the Quote button in the upper right hand corner of that person's post ;)

faq.php?mode=bbcode#f2r0
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

gpraceman wrote:
douginala wrote:all I got was the spokes and the nail head...

When quoting someone, you can simply click on the Quote button in the upper right hand corner of that person's post ;)

faq.php?mode=bbcode#f2r0
Hey Randy,

Thanks.

I like to shorten things a little and eliminate some of the repitition.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

The wheels looks good now, I just downloaded it again and didn't change any of the settings... odd.

Re: Quotes... the blue is hard to read on some of the backgrounds.
Last edited by Rod Turnbull on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.