New Wheels Made by Revell?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
KyDerbyDad
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Wheels Made by Revell?

Post by KyDerbyDad »

Just saw these at our local Michaels. Does this mean Revell is doing the molding for BSA or are they just marketing it?

Looks to be the new wheels and they have a BSA hologram

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: New Wheels Made by Revell?

Post by Stan Pope »

Hmmm... Good find!

The contents look authentic, and Revell would be taking a huge risk if they had no contract with BSA to market under their own brand as well as the BSA brand. (Is that called "cobranding?")

The contents are "as molded", that is, the wheels have not been machined in any way, right? The axles surely look bad enough to be "unworked originals". And I doubt if they would allow machined wheels and axles to bang against each other as they do in that packaging.

Is cost same as from ScoutShop?

Here from http://www.revell.com/pinewood-derby/index.html: "and only Revell makes kits and accessories officially licensed by the Boy Scouts of America."
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
KyDerbyDad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by KyDerbyDad »

Stan,

They appear to me to be the same as the "scout shop" replacement wheels. Price was $2.99

I also forgot to mention they had kit's and supplies also branded Revell.

A little google search found this, looks like they have an agreement to sell BSA stuff

http://www.revell.com/pinewood-derby/index.html
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Oops! After posting I also thought to check if Google knew anything and was editing my post as you posted. Good to know we both found the same stuff! Google works!

According the the front page, the product release was Dec 2009.
Stan
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

awesome, way to go !

they seem to add in $1 for the wheel price versus scout store.

The pics of the wheels i see are the old style. but this is neat, kits also.

sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

sporty wrote:The pics of the wheels i see are the old style. but this is neat, kits also.
The pic at the start of this post looks like new ones... do you see small, tapered hub and mold mark on the inside??? I think that I do.

The web site pics don't seem definitive, though.
Stan
andylester
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andylester »

Maybe it is just me, but are these car kits from Revell approved by the BSA or what? I see BSA logo and other kinds of stuff that appear to be a partnership with BSA. Any idea what they are up to? Will their kits be considered a BSA kit or what?

Just curious... :scratching:
Thanks,

Andy Lester, Owner

Lester Racing - Laser Cut Gravity Car Innovation
http://www.lesterracing.net" target="_blank

Mountaineer Precision Products
http://www.mpp-models.com" target="_blank
Fatdaddy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Fatdaddy »

Looks like once this snow ends, I'll be headed to Michael's :) Were these in the model section?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'd bet that the wheels come from the same manufacturer that BSA gets them from and Revell just rebrands them. They couldn't get away with putting a BSA hologram sticker on the packaging without paying BSA a licensing fee.

As long as they have the official BSA markings on them, I couldn't see prohibiting them.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Great. One more source of confusion and rule-rewording...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Great. One more source of confusion and rule-rewording...
What needs to be reworded, if they have the official BSA markings?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:I'd bet that the wheels come from the same manufacturer that BSA gets them from and Revell just rebrands them. They couldn't get away with putting a BSA hologram sticker on the packaging without paying BSA a licensing fee.
Their web site asserts that Revell has license agreement with BSA to sell under the Revell cobrand. Apparently some manufacturing rights as well.
gpraceman wrote:As long as they have the official BSA markings on them, I couldn't see prohibiting them.
There is some leeway on this. Official BSA markings alone are not sufficient to race. There are a lot of official BSA marked items in the Scout Shop that you would not allow to race. The decision is easy for most of them ... the official BSA marked "mess kit" is too large to fit into the size box; the official BSA marked shirt has no wheels; the official BSA marked hand axe (do they still make those?) weighs too much and might be considered too dangerous to send down the track.

But the pre-cut body kits are a more difficult call to make. I'd not try to outlaw those, although I think that appearance judging might take pre-shaping into account... somehow. And the details of body shaping are among the least important aspects of a racing car's performance.
Stan
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:There is some leeway on this. Official BSA markings alone are not sufficient to race. There are a lot of official BSA marked items in the Scout Shop that you would not allow to race. The decision is easy for most of them ... the official BSA marked "mess kit" is too large to fit into the size box; the official BSA marked shirt has no wheels; the official BSA marked hand axe (do they still make those?) weighs too much and might be considered too dangerous to send down the track.
I thought we were talking about wheels.
Randy Lisano

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:There is some leeway on this. Official BSA markings alone are not sufficient to race. There are a lot of official BSA marked items in the Scout Shop that you would not allow to race. The decision is easy for most of them ... the official BSA marked "mess kit" is too large to fit into the size box; the official BSA marked shirt has no wheels; the official BSA marked hand axe (do they still make those?) weighs too much and might be considered too dangerous to send down the track.
I thought we were talking about wheels.
Yes, and then I looked at the Revell PWD web page where wheels were difficult to find among all the other BSA licensed PWD products with all their official BSA markings! :)

In the context you assert, I think that you are totally correct about "no way to prohibit" those wheels. Further, as they appear to have the same manufacturer, there is "no reason to prohibit" them.
Stan
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Fatdaddy wrote:Looks like once this snow ends, I'll be headed to Michael's :) Were these in the model section?
We often see ad coupons for Michaels 50% off any single item. If those works on these wheels, that would be quite the bargin. :thumbup: