New Wheel Question

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

New Wheel Question

Post by hwsjr »

After you've removed the step, the head of the axle sits deep in the hub. What is the best way to remove a wheel and axle with this configuration without damaging either the wheel or the axle? The tool I have works well with the old wheels, but not so much with the new ones once the step is removed.
TOU
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: New Wheel Question

Post by TOU »

hwsjr wrote:After you've removed the step, the head of the axle sits deep in the hub. What is the best way to remove a wheel and axle with this configuration without damaging either the wheel or the axle? The tool I have works well with the old wheels, but not so much with the new ones once the step is removed.
Good question...hmmm. :idk:
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

If possible (I realize it is recessed), get some fishing line behind head and wrap a few turns, pull gently.
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by stang68 »

If they have not been glued push them out from the pointed end thru the axle slot,if glued or in a drilled hole the fishing line works great.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

I use the Superbraid fishing line. If you know a serious fisherman they'll be able to give you a little and save you buying. It's a lot more pricey than monofilament but much smaller diameter and does not stretch. knot choices that will work are few so search online for "fishing braid line knots" and your cup will runneth over.

This is actually how we remove the axles always w/o damaging them on cars that use drilled holes.

K
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Kenny wrote:I use the Superbraid fishing line.
K, Love it on the water a bit too flimsy for me on PWD ( might be my dexterity), nothing stronger # for #. Mono a bit stiffer (more body) alows you to form a loop and place it, once loop is behind head, wrap and pull.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Doc,

You speak the truth. What pound test mono works for you?

I found on occasion that I couldn't get the heavy enough mono in the small space after munchkin over did the insertion. We just settled on the 50 lb PowerPro which isn't too bad. It's still 20 lb mono diameter, and let's me get a noose around the head. I rig a lever so the kids can pull the wheels without pliers.

The main thing I think is that I just hate scratchin' up those beauties with pliers in the hands of young builders. :)

K
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Kenny wrote:Doc,

You speak the truth. What pound test mono works for you?
K
K, Think it was 30, been a while.