What would you guy have done?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
littleZracer
Journeyman
Journeyman

What would you guy have done?

Post by littleZracer »

Ok, so this was our first ever PWD race. My son did well, fastest time of the day. So after his pack was done all the cars were sitting on the table with a sign that read "DO NOT TOUCH THE CARS" Well a parent (who is not a leader) goes over to the table and picks up my sons car and is "inspecting it" checking out the bottom, axels and tires. Then walks back to his group of other parents and says " I'm the offical inspector" he is not. Now we have nothing to hide but is this something that happens at PWD races?
Tommyd662
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: What would you guy have done?

Post by Tommyd662 »

Yes. Unfortunately. :sigh:
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

littleZracer wrote:Now we have nothing to hide but is this something that happens at PWD races?
Does it happen? Apparently it does.

Should it happen? Based on your side of the story, I'd have to say no.
Fatdaddy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Fatdaddy »

I would approach him with the sign and ask him if he has trouble reading.

Or better yet, inform the race officials, NO ONE should be touching another scouts car.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Next time, go and pick up his son's car and check it out. 8)

In our Pack, we keep the cars pretty far away from where the parents and Scouts usually are. Sorry it happened to you and your son.
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

Well, at least the cars were on an actual table. At our District race one year they were checking in cars the night before and setting them on the carpet under the check in table, right next to their feet.

That was the same year that someone protested 3 wheelers even though there was no rule against them, so the District Officials took it upon themselves to check and ADJUST all the cars to have 4 wheels touching after the Scouts and parents had left for the night.

Now that I think about it, I'm almost glad we're done racing. :-)

To directly reply to your question, yes unfortunately there always seems to be one parent that thinks the signs only apply to the kids. They probably didn't spend the time doing the research so they're trying to figure out what makes your kid's car so fast.
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by scoutfrog »

Yes, it does tend to happen at some derbys. But it has yet to happen at any of the pack or dist. derbies (I usually hit about 2-3 packs and 1 dist each year)that I have been to. At most of them, the same track/track operator are there. We(I run the weight part of check-in) have orange barrels with racing banners strung between them to define the off limits areas. the check-in tables are right at the line and the track and holding area are about 8-10 feet from the line. The only way to get to the cars is to walk all the way around the entire check-in area or jump the banners. Before we even get started, the track master states that no one but officials are allowed behind the banners and that if you cross it and touch the cars, your car will be pulled and not raced. As I said, to date no one has crossed it. After the racing is over, no one will still cross the lines, they just stand at it and ask for their cars back.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Congrats on your success. You've got a target on your back now :)

I would definitely make a point to bring this up with the Pack committee and the Race Coordinator.

I concur with the opinion that there was curiosity motivating this poor behavior. It appears accusatory even if it wasn't intended to be offensive. But most importantly, each time a car is handled there is a chance that it would be dropped or compromised in some way.

A really fast car does draw a lot of scrutiny, especially from a newcomer. But the scrutiny should be accompanied with some manners and diplomacy and coordinated through proper race officials.

Handling another's car without permission - except by a race official - is definitely not cool. Be sure to protest, but be articulate and civil as you can. Also, consider volunteering to be on the race committee next year :)

K
Last edited by Kenny on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DKO
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DKO »

Let go of it. As long as he didn't drop it or harm it who cares. He's envious (not a good feeling). Enjoy feeling proud. Can't tell I'm a counselor can you? Congrats on the wins!