Alignment Tool Comparisons

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Alignment Tool Comparisons

Post by whodathunkit »

LightingBoy,Thanks for the Tip on the #44 brad point drill bit!
$15.37 seems like alot to pay for just one drill bit.
Plus I noted: the overall length on the one you linked to is 2''.

:idk: would a shorter overall length say around 1 3/4" for the #44 brad point drill bit
work better as far as chuck run out.

I'm not trying to take your lighting away from you LightingBoy.
Just thought I'd join you on some good tips for brad point drill bits at a little bit cheeper price.
Here is where i get my short brad point bits from.
http://www.woodshopbits.com/product-p/wlf800.htm
Hope this link helps out as well.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Hi folks! It's certainly been a while! :)

One additional attribute that is worth considering for the Den and Pack build night scenarios is that the some of these jigs have the drill bit guide that gets bigger and less precise with each use. This is true even for the tools requiring no drill press. Most of the lower cost tools are designed for limited and careful use by a family for a handful of cars in order to keep costs down. For this reason be very wary of picking up second-hand tools where drills pass through soft metal ;)

One other thought here too: It is quite possible to get a unit that has been machined out of alignment from Manufacturer, so be sure to check it before using these alignment jigs. It happens even to very reputable companies sometimes. It happened to us, and the Seller promptly made it right.

Kenny
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Kenny wrote:Hi folks! It's certainly been a while! :)

One additional attribute that is worth considering for the Den and Pack build night scenarios is that the some of these jigs have the drill bit guide that gets bigger and less precise with each use. This is true even for the tools requiring no drill press. Most of the lower cost tools are designed for limited and careful use by a family for a handful of cars in order to keep costs down. For this reason be very wary of picking up second-hand tools where drills pass through soft metal ;)
Some of the higher-end drill jigs sold by some of the performance-oriented race sites (Derby Evolution, for example) use hardened steel bushings for the drill guide to prevent wear. Of course, nothing lasts forever. Still, I'd think you'd get a LOT of axle holes (especially if you're sticking to a pin vise) before you made a dent in those.
Kenny wrote: One other thought here too: It is quite possible to get a unit that has been machined out of alignment from Manufacturer, so be sure to check it before using these alignment jigs. It happens even to very reputable companies sometimes. It happened to us, and the Seller promptly made it right.
True! Some of the tests from folks like Lightninboy and Bracketracer could prove very useful here!
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

whodathunkit wrote: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:06 pm LightingBoy,Thanks for the Tip on the #44 brad point drill bit!
$15.37 seems like alot to pay for just one drill bit.
Plus I noted: the overall length on the one you linked to is 2''.
Yeah, I've been meaning to update this thread. I can no longer recommend that bit. I got years of great drills from one of those, before I broke it while moving some stuff around. Bummer - but I'll just order another one right? Well, the next one, and its replacement, and its replacement all had issues. So I gave up on it.
:idk: would a shorter overall length say around 1 3/4" for the #44 brad point drill bit
work better as far as chuck run out.

I'm not trying to take your lighting away from you LightingBoy.
Just thought I'd join you on some good tips for brad point drill bits at a little bit cheeper price.
Here is where i get my short brad point bits from.
http://www.woodshopbits.com/product-p/wlf800.htm
Hope this link helps out as well.
Cool. I might give that a try.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The Pro-Axle bender - $79.95.
This single tool will enable a builder to set the rear wheels anyway desired and can be adjusted to another angle at any time. Example - I set the rear wheels with 1 1/2 degrees of Negative camber, No toe, and test it on a 35' Best track. I pull the back wheels, bend the nails to 2 1/2 degrees Negative camber, No toe, and run it down the same track. I learned something whatever it might be. That's just an example.
Please allow me to bring the Laws of Physics into this. The BSA wheel is riding on the BSA axle at a certain angle whether the angle is achieved by bending the nail or drilling a hole at an angle. The angle is exactly the same. Did I affect the Laws of Physics in a Negative way by bending the axle?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

It's not necessary to use the Pro-Axle Bender to accomplish the goal. I simply like that particular tool. I demonstrate it at all our workshops along with all the Derbyworx tools to educate scouts on what's available for them. The nail can be bent using very basic tools without using special tools specifically designed to bend the nail.