Tools. Pictures. Drilling axle wholes.

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Tools. Pictures. Drilling axle wholes.

Post by sporty »

There our many different ways to drill a axle whole.

While I do not have all the tools to review and comment on or post. I have pretty much all of them.

Buck, if you want to take a picture of your tool and post it. I have gotten to use it and try it out. Buck uses the block.

Now- before I even begin.

Note: this is not a debate topic, not a pick which is better topic, Not knock a product. It's about showing tools, options and maybe some mild comments. From a Scout and parent perspective.

I am not endorsing any product or excluding a product.

These are some of what I have worked with. I do not know which ones all came out first or 2nd or last, does not matter.

First up-

The pro body tool.

When it first came out, it helped scouts go from nothing to something, being able to use.

It gave kids and parents and workshop people a low cost way to drill axle wholes.

It was a improvment at a low cost.

Then came the pro body jig along.

It offers stability with adjustability.

Next up is something common we can use with little cost.

Another block of wood and a gauge pin or dril blank or drill rod and clamps.

Here is a tool, I had made for me.

I took some design idieas from one tool and my own ideas to come up with this-

A adjustable axle whole canting. insert or remove different bushings, that have different degrees. Also different size wholes for different drill bits. by changing out the bushings. It's a bit crued but a proto-type of mine.

adjustable angle block.

I had been looking for awhile for a adjustable block and one day, quadad found what I was looking for on e-bay.

It has degrees and can be adjusted and its been around awhile.

There our more tools out there, more to be made and better and easier ways all around that come about.

It is a buyer and builder prefrenece to what you use.

Again, I have tried the block and would post pictures, But I do not own one. Perhaps buck or someone will post a pic of there tool.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Tools. Pictures. Drilling axle wholes.

Post by *5 J's* »

Thanks Sporty. How did your prototype work for you? I was thinking of making something similiar.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'd be careful about the term "prototype". That would seem to suggest that these will be manufactured and I think that there would be a patent issue if that was the case. If just for personal use, then no problem.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I thought about that after I posted it like that.

I was more meaning. That its not yet complete or finished to what I want. more changes.

I wanted the two rods, made from high strength steel, they are pins from mold machines, ejection pins were used.

I wanted a wider base and a few other things. the main thing was the adjustable and change-able drill wholes and different degrees of cant.

They key factor also if if the center whole starting point from the bushing middle was the way to go, or to have it start at the outside of the whole or the back side of the whole. i went with the center. This may loose a few people.

But thats having to deal with the canting process inside of the bushing. Set screws to hold it in place. very tight tolerance's. they do not just slide out or fall out.

Not sure there is a patent on that stuff.

I wil pass on something ineresting though. As some of you know. I have a relative in the us patent office, works in washington dc.

While i get no free perks, or anything like that. I have enjoyed conversations with him. on how the process all works and a few other things.

Something interesting is this-

some companies, send in tons of patents on something, with different variences to each one. To prevent someone cloning or changing it just enough to call it there own. this is for example a refrence to electronic's.

So to have a solid patent, you literally got to spend millions to get a rock solid patent, meaning several patients with different variances of the original product.

Thats also how china gets away with a great deal of clones. they change it just enough, to get buy with it.

Not mentioning that as a negative or positive disclaimer. But the horrible polistics of patents.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
sporty wrote:Not sure there is a patent on that stuff. I wil pass on something ineresting though. As some of you know. I have a relative in the us patent office...
Yes, that is interesting. IANAL, but it has always been my understanding that if a patented product is functionally improved, the existing patent does not necessarily apply to the improved product. Given that, Sporty's device may very well not violate a patent, given the variations and functional improvements, unless a patent already exists for his improvements. Sporty might ask his relative if posting his device puts the information in the public domain, so that no one else may patent it (except possibly him).
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I just threw that out there, since the issue arose before with someone making a similar tool. I am no patent attorney, of course.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

In addition to 5J's question, I am also wondering about ways to mark/start holes if you are drilling on a press without a bit guide, such as when drilling with the angle adjusting block or the Block? Does anyone use a jig or tool to act as a guide for starting holes to be drilled later with the press - for example, using a drill bit as a "center punch" through a Pro-Body Tool or Jig to intent the wood? Or do you just measure it off a starting point with a square and/or ruler? Or something else?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

FatSebastian wrote:In addition to 5J's question, I am also wondering about ways to mark/start holes if you are drilling on a press without a bit guide, such as when drilling with the angle adjusting block or the Block? Does anyone use a jig or tool to act as a guide for starting holes to be drilled later with the press - for example, using a drill bit as a "center punch" through a Pro-Body Tool or Jig to intent the wood? Or do you just measure it off a starting point with a square and/or ruler? Or something else?

I do a starter whole., before i drill cants, but I vary from methods.

Just like tuning cars. I do that on the kitchen floor ! just ask the people who have seen it, they just don't beleive it. Oh what could I do if I have money.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

WIth the block I use an incra rule t-square to layout the holes with a pencil.

I also use an incra bends:

All with a pencil
Last edited by pwrd by tungsten on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
W Racing!!!!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

good stuff there, if you can post a pic of the block, that would be great also.

I am fair and impartial and just don't have a pic. But not doing any reviews or comments on anything for neutral sake.

Just pics and sharing.

Sporty
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Here is my setup:

Proxxon Drill with collet (Standard on the proxxon). Stubby bit and The Block:

Here is my Awana style car on The Block:

Here is a BSA style car on the block:

Here is a fun picture of a car with agressive COM:

Here is that same car marked up for shaping and axle holes. Marked with a square:

W Racing!!!!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

very nice.

Thanks for posting pictures.

I think all of them are covered now, there is only one I have not used that is out there. But i forget the name of it. I've seen it out there on e-bay.

If anyone has a different method or tool they use, please share it.

Again, this is not for reviews or comments or pros and cons. It's got to be that way, if we want to atleast share photos and let the future tool owner decide for themselves.

Thanks,

Sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The pics at http://www.stanpope.net/drlpress.htm show a fence on a drill press with a brass bar on top that serves as a drill guide. The drill guide is adjustable to place its guide hole the correct distance from the fence. The hole in the drill guide is aligned with the fully extended drill bit. The fence can be used as is or with a 2"X7" 1/16" thick spacer to leave room to drill the lifted wheel hole without the spacer.

In addition, the fence and drill guide can be used with small round spacers (drill bits or drill stock) as described at http://www.stanpope.net/camdrill.htm to get selected toe and camber.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:there is only one I have not used that is out there. But i forget the name of it. I've seen it out there on e-bay.
I think that you might mean this tool:

It is discussed at http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 73&start=0.

Some other options were listed in this comparison thread.

Every tool has its pros and cons. Some people are more fans of one tool over another. That is fine. I just think that people should be able to make up their own minds and not be criticized if they wish to try something else.
Randy Lisano

quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

gpraceman wrote:I think that you might mean this tool ... Every tool has its pros and cons. Some people are more fans of one tool over another. That is fine. I just think that people should be able to make up their own minds and not be criticized if they wish to try something else.
I totally agree. I haven't seen any panacea yet and I really don't recall much criticizing. I for one don't trust any totally positive reports when no downsides are mentioned - those never seem objective and usually are not. I think everyone wants to know what is working for other people. They all have strong points and weak points, depending on your perspective. I have all of the tools discussed here except one. This PineCar one (above) is one I still have in the product packaging. Being aluminum, I think it will have a finite life, but I will try it out in the next week just to see how it does (and I will report on that).