smallest bore or least runout, which is most significant

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: smallest bore or least runout, which is most significant

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

I would go least runout...
W Racing!!!!
justenough
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by justenough »

Just an update on the previous posts. First, I think the short answer to my original question (as already stated by others) is that you should look for wheels with the best (least) runout and not be overly concerned with the diameter of the bore. I have wheels from 10 kits this year, the bore diameter is pretty consistent (.0060 to .0065 mostly, none less than .0060) but the runouts vary dramatically and are much worse than in past years. This year I only found three wheels with a runout less than .003, and some had really bad runout (.010 or so). [the three wheels were 2 #15s and 1 #2 (which was the best)].

My efforts to remove the runout from the wheels with a set up like that described above so far has failed; i think because I lack both the tools and the expertise, not because it isn't possible. I was trying to use a hand drill clamped in place and moving a wheel with my hand and not a vise, so it just wasn't working. should be possible thought, just for me right now it is still cheaper to buy a bunch of wheels and see if I luck into a couple sets of good ones.

My experience with the mold numbers is consistent with what has been said in another thread about the best mold numbers (#2) and the general decline in quality as the molds age.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

justenough wrote: I have wheels from 10 kits this year, the bore diameter is pretty consistent (.0060 to .0065 mostly, none less than .0060) but the runouts vary dramatically
Are these BSA wheels? What is your unit of measure? (BSA wheels typically have bore diameter of 0.097".)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Stan Pope wrote:
justenough wrote:the bore diameter is pretty consistent (.0060 to .0065 mostly, none less than .0060)
(BSA wheels typically have bore diameter of 0.097".)
The "9" and "0" are beside each other on the keyboard. I presumed a typo; where the intention was ".0960 to .0965 mostly."
justenough
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by justenough »

Oops, sorry, not a keyboard error but a mental one. FS is correct about my intention. The values were mostly .096, .0965 (more than half of the 40 were those two values). I didn't measure highter than that (b/c was looking for smallest). I measured all the runouts though b/c they were all so different (and so much larger than I thought they would be generally).

At some point I'll post the mold numbers and values for runout and bores size so people can add them to the data set, but the race is soon and I don't have the time right now.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

see if you could find a big rig kit i found 2 #2s in each big rig kit they had a runout of .0007.
and in the kits i found some wheels to have low runnout also i checked them all and tossed anything over .003 then rechecked and found several to be .0012-.0007
Last edited by 68sportcoupe on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justenough
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by justenough »

Thank you for the tip. I saw your comment earlier today in the other thread on this year's wheels, and I just ordered two kits on the hunch that you were on to something (so I'd have enough for next year as well). I will let you know what I find. Thanks again. I'll post the results of testing those wheels.

PS - Plus, I think I'll make the two kits (replacing the wheels with the ones I now have) into den projects and let two dens race against each other next year. It'll be something different to see.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

heres a pic of my crude rig.

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:(BSA wheels typically have bore diameter of 0.097".)
The "9" and "0" are beside each other on the keyboard. I presumed a typo; where the intention was ".0960 to .0965 mostly."
Good point! I didn't think of that since I mostly use the keypad (thumb on zero and extended ring finger on nine!) when keying in more than one digit!

I didn't explore that type of error because the runouts seemed much different than expected also. Such poor runouts argue strongly for more freedom to true the wheels! "Light sanding" won't do it when the runout is 0.005+"
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"