Graphite and COM

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
miko
Apprentice
Apprentice

Graphite and COM

Post by miko »

For a RR saw a lot of threads but is the current conclusion 5/8 com n front of back axle? Using the standard axle slots?

I read so many threads on graphite.. There was one thread FS put a link to a jobe lecture 16. Isn't that a legal prep. The tread was about cheating but since the alcohol is wiped off in that process it isn't present when the graphite is put on?

I also have seen many "what graphite is better" threads. I currently have xr8, hob-e-lube, and some other graphite i bought at hob lobb.. i see some are saying HEL with the max v combo. But I found incomplete threads about the [no advertising for this vendor].. where no one said how they did.. or if they did say it was in a different thread that didn't come up when i did a search for [no advertising for this vendor]...and the same with the super z from lecture 16.. I saw a couple threads talk of maybe using it but if results were posted i couldn't find it. Some of this may depend on what I can get delivered by Thr or Fri since race is Sat morning.

Thanks
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Graphite and COM

Post by Darin McGrew »

Ultimately, what matters is the weight on the dominant front wheel. I recall reading that 1oz on the DFW is relatively conservative, that 0.5oz on the DFW is relatively aggressive, and that choosing the right balance depends on a number of issues, including:
- condition and type of track
- stock or extended wheelbase
- condition (runout, irregularities,...) of wheels
- alignment of wheels and axles
miko
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by miko »

Well its a good track and I have to use the standard block with standard axle spots and un modified wheels with slight alignment to rr but I wonder if my car design (having a hallow tornado funnel shape would cause lift.

I of course would have the small part as the front of the car... so no parachute effect.. I guess the air should flow without much issue as not a lot of air going thru it.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

miko wrote:I currently have xr8, hob-e-lube, and some other graphite i bought at hob lobb.. i see some are saying HEL with the max v combo. But I found incomplete threads about the [no advertising for this vendor].. where no one said how they did...
Murphken posted elsewhere that [no advertising for this vendor] was not an improvement over Max-V-Lube. XLR8 is reputed to be nothing special.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

My testing a few years ago, max-v lube was not for me. but it is a good lube.

We all have our preferences, and sometimes, what we do to our axles and bores. and define, my size of the graphite and type onhow it works best for you.

I prefer hodges first to burnish with and then hob-e-lube.

"For a RR saw a lot of threads but is the current conclusion 5/8 com n front of back axle? Using the standard axle slots?
"

Sounds about right to me.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

miko wrote:...FS put a link to a jobe lecture 16. Isn't that a legal prep. The tread was about cheating but since the alcohol is wiped off in that process it isn't present when the graphite is put on?
The process described by Jobe in Lecture 16 should be completely legal in most races, including BSA races. Jobe's use of 91% isopropyl alcohol is for cleaning and for storing axles (however, storing polished axles in isopropyl alcohol very long may cause them to corrode).