Car painted. Cant the non-DFW wheel?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
kpfeif
Apprentice
Apprentice

Car painted. Cant the non-DFW wheel?

Post by kpfeif »

Good morning.

My son completed the painting last night, and how it's time to get all of the wheels on the car. I'm helping him set the car up as a RR. 4 cars on the car, 3 on the track. The non-DFW axle hole is slightly higher than the others.

Do we bend that axle as well? I can't seem to find the definitive answer. I saw a reference to this in the "sticky" thread, but we want to make sure we're doing the right thing.

Thanks!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Car painted. Cant the non-DFW wheel?

Post by FatSebastian »

kpfeif wrote:I can't seem to find the definitive answer.
Perhaps because it may not matter, as ideally the non-DFW does not touch?

We've bent the non-DFW in situations where the axle hole was not raised enough to our liking.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yes the raised axle whole there, should keep that wheel off the ground, and not touch.

Soemtimes you do have to use a bent axle, but since you have a raised axle whole, you should be okay. but dont take that to the bank, once you put the wheel and axle on, that should reveal to you if you need to or not. use a bend in the axle.

Try it first. You should be okay.

Now, a further temp, it takes time for paint to cure, you might think about a piece of 3m clear tape over the RR axle whole area. and rub in some graphite on the tape.

If your race is soon. the paint will not be hard enough yet and when the RR wheel goes to the body, during a a very brief second from slope to the flat part of the track. the uncured paint , will cause a further point of friction during that time. and may become sticky after a run or two and get on the wheel too.

its one on the more common things I see on race day, cars painted to soon prior to the race.

That little tip, if you choose to use it, may help you allot, if the paint is not fully curred before the race.

two weeks is about a decent time for curing with spray can paint.

Thats the ony thing I dislike about instructions on the paint can, they do not always say when the paint will be fully dry, just when dry enough to touch it.

Most can and spray can paints, have none or very little curing agents or hardners in it. So only time will cure it.
kpfeif
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kpfeif »

Excellent information. The wheel is consistantly off the track, so I think we'll be ok.

Also, great info on the paint. I had Jake tape over the area around the wheel, so all that's there is bare wood, which he sanded very very smooth. We'll embed graphite into that area.

He's getting excited, too! He got out the old cars and started to time them down our test board last night.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:you might think about a piece of 3m clear tape over the RR axle whole area. and rub in some graphite on the tape.
:rules: Hopefully a piece of tape would not be considered a "washer"; also some rules require that the wheel be able to contact "wood or painted wood" only. Otherwise generally good advice from Sporty.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thats a nice point to think about, to check your rules.

Our local pack / packs & council have never found issues with it. Mosty because common since prevailed, that you could see it was not intended to be used for as a washer.

Most of the time people take small telfon or delrin or ect and make a small washer / bushing / bearing that fits into the hub or wheel bore of the wheel.

But there was a issue I recall awhile back, someone posted on here, that there were not allowed to use graphite pads, that was something and still likely sold out there. That you could buy a sticky backed grahpite coated pad.

When I got to see them, I thought they were less slick and smooth and not something I wanted to use.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

i was worried about this this year.
what i did was just before allignment i sprinkled some graphite around the axle hole neatly and used a spare (junk) wheel to press it into the body leaving a small area for the hub to rub on if contact was made.
after the wheels where on you could hardly see it.
ive also heard clear fingernail polish works well dries fast and is hard and slick ive never tried it though.
iether way good luck.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

68sportcoupe wrote:ive also heard clear fingernail polish works well dries fast and is hard and slick ive never tried it though.
Advice regarding paint and nail polish in the vicinity of the axle hole can also be found in this thread.