Mold #s on the wheels?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Mold #s on the wheels?

Post by Aron »

I think I saw on here once before. Is there any truth that it is better to use all wheels with the same mold # on the back. Thought I had seen something on here before that had lead me to believe this was true. Thoughts?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mold #s on the wheels?

Post by sporty »

the older wheeles, seem to ring more true to this, than the newer wheels.

What matters most, it making sure all the wheel bores are the same size and the smallest diameter they come.

there seems to be three sizes I often found.

sometimes when the newer wheels first came out. I could fine wheel bore sizes at .0950 and .0955 and those were the wheels I used, in sets of the same size.

sporty
macd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by macd »

For this season, I've collected 48 wheels.
I've built a concentricity gage per FS's directions at http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... ity#p63852
I just ordered a set of four gage pins: 0.0955 through 0.0970.

What process should my son use to go through these wheels to find the best set of four?

Bore first, then "roundness"?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yes, thats how I did it, check the bores, and match the bores sizes upas a set, trying to get a set with the smallest bore size.

and then you can check for the wheels for the least run out. Not sure if you plan on shaving them or a lathe or mandrell.

But either way, bore size is what I check and do first.

Sporty
macd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by macd »

Our plan is to find the best set, and run them in modified.
We will only polish and burnish the bore.

I have low confidence that with our current tools and skill that we'll be able to improve a wheel. I do have a mandrel and a drill press, maybe we'ill practice on a few and measure our results.
Should a mandrel, cheap drill press, and piece of 600 grit in the hands of a 9 year old be able to produce faster than stock wheels?
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 5kidsracing »

I would use a set of #2's or #9's. I haven't check runout on the OD because I cut all of my wheels and it doesn't matter, but they seem to have the least left to right runout and a .097 minus guage pin will not go through the bore. The bore on those two wheel molds are around .0965.
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
Washington
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Washington »

We used the pro hub tool on our wheels this year for the first time. On all the wheels, the tool actually increased the wheel bore diameter. Is this counter productive?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Washington wrote:We used the pro hub tool on our wheels this year for the first time. On all the wheels, the tool actually increased the wheel bore diameter. Is this counter productive?
I'm puzzled, how did this happen ? how were you using the tool ? was the shaft that goes thru the wheel bore to big ??

Sporty
Washington
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Washington »

I used the tool according to the directions. The diameter of the shaft that goes throught the wheel bore was bigger than the actual bore itself for all 8 wheels. The directions for the tool made it sound that this was a distinct possibilty. The directions said to twist the tool inside the wheel bore. The end result is I "reamed" all the wheel bores to the same inside diameter, but larger.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Hmmm,

I dont have mine anymore, I sold mine. If someone has one, can they please use a micrometer and measure it ?

I wonder what size wheel bores you have ? (had)

Unless you had mushrooming going on in them. which is possible. You may want to contact who you bought it from.

Do you have a micrometer to measure it ?

Sporty
Washington
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Washington »

I don't have a micrometer. I purchased the tool from Maximum Velocity. Has anyone else used the pro hub tool with similiar results? If you go on the Maximum Velocity website there are directions on how to use the tool. It states the tool will "ream the bore". Is this counter productive?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

It depends, mine was when they frist came out. and mine never reamed the bore. this was when the old style wheels were being used. So, not sure if its the same o.d. reamer or if its a bit different in size. the newer wheels had consitsently better wheel bores and more smaller size bores found.

reaming is suppose to give you a even bore, for resolving any mushrooming issues. uneven wheel bore.

Without know what size and I dont have mine anymore, if it was the same size now compared to then. you might wanna contact Randy at max-v, he could likely tell you and check if he does not know off hand.

I personally dont like a wheel bore larger than .0965. but some like the .0970 ones.

I try and use .960 wheel bores. back when the new style wheels first came out, I was finding .0955 wheel bores and I loved those gems.

Sporty
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 5kidsracing »

sporty wrote:Hmmm,

I dont have mine anymore, I sold mine. If someone has one, can they please use a micrometer and measure it ?

Unless you had mushrooming going on in them. which is possible. You may want to contact who you bought it from.

Sporty
I bought mine from MV 4 years ago and it is .095... I saw that someone else said they had the same problem with the same tool over at the D'Worx site... I am sure Randy at MV would replace it if it is defective.
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

5kidsracing wrote:
sporty wrote:Hmmm,

Sporty
I bought mine from MV 4 years ago and it is .095... I saw that someone else said they had the same problem with the same tool over at the D'Worx site... I am sure Randy at MV would replace it if it is defective.

Awesome, info, thanks pally !

If hes got 9 wheels at .095 and smaller, to ream. wow. great wheels to have. but he might have one that was a opps and the o.d. is bigger than what it should be.

But randy at max-v is good to deal with and derbyworx is also.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Aron wrote:Is there any truth that it is better to use all wheels with the same mold # on the back. Thought I had seen something on here before that had lead me to believe this was true.
I asked nearly the same question some years ago. Lots of good info came out about injection molding, die wear, etc. This was my overall impression of the justifications for practicing mold-number matching at the time.

If nothing else, matched wheel numbers are a red flag to some inspectors.
5kidsracing wrote:I bought mine from MV 4 years ago and it is .095...
As noted here, ours is also 0.095". I would suspect a defective tool before assuming that eight wheels have ultra-small bores.

FWIW, we once received a Pro-Hub tool where the edge to be inserted was nicked. It looked like it had been dropped on its end by somebody along the way. The vendor replaced it with no questions asked. It would have certainly resisted insertion had we used it.