Drilling canted axle holes with pro body tool

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Drilling canted axle holes with pro body tool

Post by JSG »

A while back I remember some guys were drilling 2.5 deg canted axle holes by placing a drill bit between the block and the tool to tilt the block. Was there ever a consensus as to the effectiveness of this technique? I want to get away from bending axles in the rear but I don't want to spend the money on a drill press.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Drilling canted axle holes with pro body tool

Post by sporty »

I recall this. I do recall that you have to use a smaller size piece of wood. But I do not recall how much smaller it was.

You can also drill cant, buy buying drill rod of a piece of rod. I posted a pictures awhile ago on how to do it. and using the pro body jig to drill a 1/16th starter whole.

So there is other options, if you cant get this to work for you.

Sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Drilling camber and toe with a probody tool is a special case that you can fit in the tables and computations of http://www.stanpope.net/camdrill.htm. Important considerations: be careful of how the body is held ... it is too easily flexed if pressed in the center between its edge supsport, and this will negate the desired camber! It only takes a smidgen of room to tilt for camber. It takes a bit more to tilt for toe!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

I'd love to be able to just have my son press some nicely polished axles into the holes and be done with the rears. Bending axles is just too much Dad time spent bending, adjusting, grabbing the head with a needle nose pliers (probably damaging the head).

http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6652" target="_blank

Just found this thread from the other day.

Sorry
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

JSG wrote:I'd love to be able to just have my son press some nicely polished axles into the holes and be done with the rears. Bending axles is just too much Dad time spent bending, adjusting, grabbing the head with a needle nose pliers (probably damaging the head).
Then you must learn how to know that you have drilled the holes correctly! and that the axles son is plugging into them are straight enough.

Better yet, teach junior how to do those things, whether with bent axles or "bent" holes!
Incidently, time to align bent rear axles is "seconds to minutes" if your technique and technology are good.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I want to get away from bending axles in the rear but I don't want to spend the money on a drill press.
My advice: Get the Drill Press! Once you have one, you'll find a gazillion uses for it.
A decent drill press would run $250 or less.

I use a machinist' block, The Block, to drill nicely canted axle holes. Works great with the drill press.

Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

I used this technique this year with a hand drill. I still ended up having to bend the rear axles some to adjust for toe. Of course, I was having to drill into the slots so that may have made a difference with the trueness of the holes. However, in my experience, the technique is not foolproof and you will still have some axle adjustment time.

I'm going to try my next batch on the drill press again with a machinist block like rpcarpe, but pre drill starter holes with the ProBody tool like Sporty.

Paul
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Here's a new tool that is similar to the Pro-Body Tool but has variable width. I wonder if this would be more useful for drilling canted holes than using the Pro-Body Tool...

DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

While not a replacement for The Block and a drill press, you think someone would come out with a body tool or jig that has angled holes so it would be easy to drill basic canted axles.
jzarvey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jzarvey »

DerbyAddicted wrote:While not a replacement for The Block and a drill press, you think someone would come out with a body tool or jig that has angled holes so it would be easy to drill basic canted axles.
Someone has. He goes by GoatBoy. Not sure if he is on here, but he is on another PWD forum.
Jim
aka jzarvey

Chief Engineer (aka Dad)
Gold Standard Racing
The Iceman
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by The Iceman »

FatSebastian wrote:Here's a new tool that is similar to the Pro-Body Tool but has variable width. I wonder if this would be more useful for drilling canted holes than using the Pro-Body Tool...

I learned my lesson on one of these! You really have to get it tight and clamp it down good!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

The Iceman wrote:I learned my lesson on one of these!
I've not seen this particular tool discussed. Perhaps you could write a review as a new topic?
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

JSG wrote:I'd love to be able to just have my son press some nicely polished axles into the holes and be done with the rears. Bending axles is just too much Dad time spent bending, adjusting, grabbing the head with a needle nose pliers (probably damaging the head).

http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6652" target="_blank

Just found this thread from the other day.
Yep, I was going to point you to that thread. In my experience using the Pro Body Tool + shim technique for drilling the *rear* wheel negative camber is feasible. Couple things to watch out for ...

* As Stan mentioned, be careful that the block doesn't flex - particularly if drilling after cutting the block down to a thinner slab.
* You most likely will have to reduce the width of the block to fit in the PBT and allow it to angle.
* Only sand one side of the block to reduce the width and mark the other side as the reference side. When clamping the block in the tool, make sure the reference side is tight against the tool

I did bent axles for years and was pretty fast with it. Last year I did my first straight axles (with cambered drill holes) and like it much better.Mostly because I don't have to fret about realigning the rear axles every time I remove the rear wheels. Last year I used the PBT+shim approach to drill the holes, this year I moved on to the Silver Bullet + drill press approach
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Stan Pope wrote:Drilling camber and toe with a probody tool is a special case that you can fit in the tables and computations of http://www.stanpope.net/camdrill.htm. Important considerations: be careful of how the body is held ... it is too easily flexed if pressed in the center between its edge supsport, and this will negate the desired camber! It only takes a smidgen of room to tilt for camber. It takes a bit more to tilt for toe!
Stan is spot on with the flex. Early on I used the probody tool with a drill bit and when I clamped it flexed the body and messed up the camber (I was using 1/4" bodies). I ended up cutting a piece of aluminum that fit the width of the probody tool then filed it to the degree of camber I wanted. As this shim spanned the entire width of the body/probody tool it prevented flex. I had other issues with the probody tool so I eventually bought a cheap (less than $45 drill press) and bought a machinist block "The block". It worked well for me. Goatboy does have a probody type tool with holes for camber, as well he has carbon steel bushings that are a HUGE welcome but increases the cost beyond the reach of most families running a yearly derby. But with carbon steel bushings it is something that could be passed down for YEARS. I have not tried the Goatboy tool - but it addresses all the issues I had with the probody tool.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Well besides the cost, I'm not sure Goat Boy is making them any more. I haven't had much luck finding any.