Unusual Format for Districts??

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Unusual Format for Districts??

Post by DerbyAddicted »

So I just found out last night that we actually have a District Race. I called someone today about it to find out about the rules, and unfortunately, he's not running it, just providing the track. However, he said he was under the impression that the boys wouldn't be racing each other, but racing against themselves and their time. I know this is done in Drag racing but not sure how it would work in PWD. Has anyone heard of this before? Can you give me a little enlightenment until I can get some more clarification?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Unusual Format for Districts??

Post by FatSebastian »

DerbyAddicted wrote:I know this is done in Drag racing but not sure how it would work in PWD.
Presumably each car runs down each lane a certain number of times, and the times are recorded. The sum (or average) of those times then determines the final ranking of the cars, where the smallest accumulated time rank the highest.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

But in amateur drag racing, you set a time and then try to match that time. My guess is that's how they "handicap" the races, so a nitrous racer can compete against a less formidable car. And the little I got from the person I spoke to, that's how I took his info. That the boys would be competing against their own time, and not each other. But once again, not sure how that would work in PWD, unless they're looking for consistency. The only benefit is that it pretty much does away with most of the rules requirements since it doesn't matter what the other cars are running (oil, wheelbase, etc.) since it's not head to head time comparison.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

DerbyAddicted wrote:And the little I got from the person I spoke to, that's how I took his info. That the boys would be competing against their own time, and not each other.
:idk: I misunderstood; thanks for the clarification. You are suggesting a PWD format that I have never seen described. Please let us know the details of your district's unusual format once discovered.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

No, I would bet big he simply meant racing based on 'times'. Especially if he didn't elaborate. It is just a phrase, to say you are racing against yourself or the clock. And in such a format, who is in the other lane(s) at the time is not relevant and makes a larger event easier to schedule.

True, there are handicap approaches - but if so, there would be a very detailed set of instructions on what that meant.

Lastly. Does it matter? Have fun that your scout gets to race again, sandbagging in PWD would not be an easy strategy to implement anyway. Have him prep his car the best he knows how and there ya go.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

dna1990 wrote:No, I would bet big he simply meant racing based on 'times'. Especially if he didn't elaborate. It is just a phrase, to say you are racing against yourself or the clock. And in such a format, who is in the other lane(s) at the time is not relevant and makes a larger event easier to schedule.

True, there are handicap approaches - but if so, there would be a very detailed set of instructions on what that meant.

Lastly. Does it matter? Have fun that your scout gets to race again, sandbagging in PWD would not be an easy strategy to implement anyway. Have him prep his car the best he knows how and there ya go.
I wasn't planning on sandbagging. I was just curious, and was wondering if this was common. I would at least like to know as much about the rules as far in advance as possible. I can see benefits to this type of ruleset because it allows anyone to compete equally regardless of a pack's individual rules. Also, it lets you run the races throughout the day and not require people to be there at set times.