Wheel Bore Waxes

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Wheel Bore Waxes

Post by Topspin.D »

Has anyone reverse engineered any of the waxes the vendors sell to figure out what they are? Red Rocket, Derby Worx?

Liquid Glass Legend is really good if you can find it (but very expensive). [no advertising for this vendor] sells it as bore prep. Wonder what his "reprep" wax is...?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wheel Bore Waxes

Post by Speedster »

I've often thought about waxes but more about what they do than what they are. I have no experience with oil.
Is wax beneficial to a graphite car that will make only 12 runs?
Does it reduce the size of the bore?
How much increase in speed can I expect with wax and graphite?
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Lots of benefits... waxing a bore, inner and outer parts of the hubs are VERY beneficial when running graphite, essentially the same process as oil will help make a MUCH faster graphite car, and burnishing graphite into the bore and inner and outer hubs you will see great increases in speed. There is a difference with the type of wax that you choose to use as well. Just our experience, and when inspected under magnification the results are undeniable. There are great waxes to use and NOT good waxes to use... Red Rocket, Legend Liquid Glass, [no advertising for this vendor] Re-Prep Wax, are all fantastic... I have experimented with others like Tech Wax & Liquid Glass - and there is speed there too... part of these results you are going to have to figure out yourselves as I believe that in testing and application you will find what works best for you. There is a process in the application of the different waxes. It is important to put an even coat on the wheels, and to be able to buff the wax evenly. We have found some excellent applicators that work very well for this.
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Topspin, it's probably turtle wax bought by the gallon and sold for $10 per oz. ;)
Noskills.

PS I have no idea what it is but I bought some Red Red and I like my results this year. I am too much a a scientist to say much more than this bit of anecdotal evidence. I don't have the luxury of conducting controlled studies on cars like I do with people at work.
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

As Greg said, waxing does help.

As to the reverse engineering part, is it worth it? The vendors have done the testing and are selling what they've found to work best for a price that takes into account all of their costs. Time, waxes that don't work, all the incidentals we forget about: lathed wheels, prepping the wheels, applicators, bottles to send put the wax in, you get the idea.

For PWD racing, you don't need large amounts of wax either. Do you need that $100 bottle of Legends sitting on a shelf?

The vendors need to make some kind of a small profit too.

I guess it comes down to do you think their pricing is too high or not. All things considered.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

I asked because there is wide variation in cost of these unidentified waxes. I've already made substantial investments in wheels axles tools graphite tungsten etc.

I was just curious if there was something I can get locally in quantities greater than one once and share with others without over paying.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

I can't comment on a lot of the other waxes as I don't know what they are, so no idea on initial cost of the wax. But I can comment on the Legends. You yourself know that it's very expensive. The question becomes do you think [no advertising for this vendor]'s price for it is too high or not for the amount you get?

Not busting your chops, it's the question your asking yourself as you're looking for alternatives and stated as much in your reply.

Personally, I think Legends pricing is fine. You don't need much for our use. We're not committed to a huge investment. If something comes along that is better, we're not the ones who have $100 bottles of wax sitting on a shelf. Most importantly, it's proven to work. I've used it with great results.

I'm happy to purchase it.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Noskills wrote:Topspin, it's probably turtle wax bought by the gallon and sold for $10 per oz. ;)
Noskills.

PS I have no idea what it is but I bought some Red Red and I like my results this year. I am too much a a scientist to say much more than this bit of anecdotal evidence. I don't have the luxury of conducting controlled studies on cars like I do with people at work.
Thinking more about this, for all we know, Red Rocket or any of the others could well be Turtle Wax or they could be other high end waxes. We just don't know.

But I do know Legends is what it's advertised as.

It comes down to how much you trust the vendor to respect you as a customer and not rip you off.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

waxes, depending on the prep, the process. it varies individually, everybodies skill set is different and you have to match that known process to the wax, cause everyone s process and bore prep process can deviate and this results in different outcomes even if you're trying the same process that someone else is using.
There our a few waxes that work very well. Yes some are costly. Others are not.