.37 oz block too light?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
The Iceman
Journeyman
Journeyman

.37 oz block too light?

Post by The Iceman »

Or no such thing if still have a com of 3/4??

Ice
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: .37 oz block too light?

Post by Topspin.D »

I think you're probably fine
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

If you car is under 0.5 oz then you should have more than 4 oz of weight in the car. If this is the case your should go for a more aggressive COM.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

As long as the body has enough strength, the lighter the better. It lets you put the weight where you want it.
The Iceman
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by The Iceman »

Thanks Guys, thats what my thought was but being my first year I thought I better check! Ya, I topped it with 1/32 of Balsa with Tightbond III and it like a rock!
Noskills wrote:If you car is under 0.5 oz then you should have more than 4 oz of weight in the car. If this is the case your should go for a more aggressive COM.
Noskills
More agressive COM? Hmmm More compact weight allows this?

Ice
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Ice,
More compact and farther back. If you drill your rear axels 5/8th of an inch from the back of the car you can fit 2 rows of 6 1/4 in tungsten cubes. Do the same 1/8th of an inch in front of the rear axel and your COM will likely be under 4/8th.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
The Iceman
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by The Iceman »

Noskills wrote:Ice,
More compact and farther back. If you drill your rear axels 5/8th of an inch from the back of the car you can fit 2 rows of 6 1/4 in tungsten cubes. Do the same 1/8th of an inch in front of the rear axel and your COM will likely be under 4/8th.
Noskills
Thats what I do but I change my COM to get to to the 3/4 mark with a little weight in the front. We pushed it a little to much (1/2") on our Tigers car, it was all over the place at the end the track. (fastest in the pack but still looked like we lost a bunch of time!)

Ice
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Thats what I do but I change my COM to get to to the 3/4 mark with a little weight in the front. We pushed it a little to much (1/2") on our Tigers car, it was all over the place at the end the track. (fastest in the pack but still looked like we lost a bunch of time!)
Ice, are you doing an extended wheelbase? If so you can easily bring your COM to 5/8 or 4/8 (or 3/8 if you dare :O ). The lower the COM the more drift you need to keep it on the rail. This is more true with stock wheelbase than extended. If stock wheelbase you could drop to 5-6/8th with about 3-4 in of drift over 4 ft. Also double check you rear wheel alignment!

I make 2 stock wheelbase cars with 5/8th COM that resulted in a little wobble. My drift was 3 in over 4 ft. I plan to dial it up to 4 in over 4 ft for the next race. My extended wheelbase cars have never wobbled with the same COM and lower drift.

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
The Iceman
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by The Iceman »

Noskills wrote: Ice, are you doing an extended wheelbase? If so you can easily bring your COM to 5/8 or 4/8 (or 3/8 if you dare :O ). The lower the COM the more drift you need to keep it on the rail. This is more true with stock wheelbase than extended. If stock wheelbase you could drop to 5-6/8th with about 3-4 in of drift over 4 ft. Also double check you rear wheel alignment!

I make 2 stock wheelbase cars with 5/8th COM that resulted in a little wobble. My drift was 3 in over 4 ft. I plan to dial it up to 4 in over 4 ft for the next race. My extended wheelbase cars have never wobbled with the same COM and lower drift.

Noskills
Hey Noskills, yes they are extended. OK OK now its sinking in, find the sweet spot. aggressive com = fast but out of control but real it in with more drift and find the sweet spot! (Sounded like Days of Thunder! :rofl: ) Thanks, now I need that test track! lol

Oh Shoot, I better check Stan's Webpage, there is probably a Calculation for this! :whew:

Ice
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Noskills wrote:
Ice, are you doing an extended wheelbase? If so you can easily bring your COM to 5/8 or 4/8 (or 3/8 if you dare :O ). The lower the COM the more drift you need to keep it on the rail. This is more true with stock wheelbase than extended. If stock wheelbase you could drop to 5-6/8th with about 3-4 in of drift over 4 ft. Also double check you rear wheel alignment!

Noskills
This looks like the info I've been looking for. We're running 5 9/16" wheelbase (5/8" or so from each end). Right now we're at 4" of drift with 3/4" COM. How far back is safe?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

This looks like the info I've been looking for. We're running 5 9/16" wheelbase (5/8" or so from each end). Right now we're at 4" of drift with 3/4" COM. How far back is safe?
Davet are you talking about your current car the district winner? I would say that success speaks for itself.

If I were running an extended wheelbase car I would aim for a COM of 4-5/8th with a drift of 2-3 in over 4 feet based on my prior builds and lack of wobble with those.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Noskills wrote:
If I were running an extended wheelbase car I would aim for a COM of 4-5/8th with a drift of 2-3 in over 4 feet based on my prior builds and lack of wobble with those.
Noskills
+1
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The Iceman wrote:...

Oh Shoot, I better check Stan's Webpage, there is probably a Calculation for this! :whew:

Ice
Don't I wish! The relationship between CM and toe-in seems really complex. What it seems is that more aggressive CM requires more aggressive toe-in to tame it. If you give me a proven formula (with no woo-woo factors), I'll do an all-way comp page for it! :)

Definitions:
1. woo-woo factors: nonmathematical factors
2. all-way comp: when enough of any parameters are supplied, the page computes he rest.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Noskills wrote:
Davet are you talking about your current car the district winner? I would say that success speaks for itself.

Noskills
Yes Noskills, same car.
This thread is like opening up a manual for solving the weight placement/drift puzzle. I'm now second guessing plan to run front and rear fenders next year because I don't want to start figuring this out again with a shorter wheelbase.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

This thread is like opening up a manual for solving the weight placement/drift puzzle. I'm now second guessing plan to run front and rear fenders next year because I don't want to start figuring this out again with a shorter wheelbase
Thats why this is fun!!

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite