Districts

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
hoss0067
Apprentice
Apprentice

Districts

Post by hoss0067 »

My son made it to the district race, and would like to ask everyone what kind of rework do you and your scouts do for the district race, if any? Re lube axles, re polish wheel hubs?

Thanks
Dave
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Districts

Post by Noskills »

I think its important to first assess the need to retune. How did the car run? How many runs did it make?
Personally for my son's car that ran well, I just stored it in a zip lock with moisture packet and was planning to relub only. (Yet our lousy District dropped the ball and postponed the race-but that's another post/rant :mrgreen: )
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

If he finished first or second overall without any indication of something that could be improved upon I'd leave it alone other than a re-lube. If he barely qualified for districts I'd look at everything.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

We planned a re-polish of the wheels with a different method for the District race. This meant axles out of course so we remarked our axles with black fine point marker in the 12:00 position and wiped off the original mark we had that wasn't in the 12:00 position after tuning. We placed the corresponding wheel over the axle then put a small piece of masking tape on each axle where it goes into the body. Each piece of tape was marked RF,RR, LF and LR. This way each axle goes in exactly as it came out.

Our car was stable on the track so we moved the COM back 1/16".

We re-polished the inner edge of the wheels because they had graphite stuck on them from the track and we run oil. While the axles were out we used our bore finish cream and shined up the fingernail polish we put around our axle holes. We also added rear fenders. Took 1st in Districts but just barely.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

davet,
You pointed out some really good tips there..
befor pulling and reworking the wheels and axles on a car before disticts. ;)

Was the car running with the axle slots & glued in axles ..or drilled axle holes?
I can see pulling axles that have been glued into axle slots with supper glue as a problem..
if the dryed supper glue film is still on the axle when pulled and the wheel is removed from the axle.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Our district race is tomorrow. Only plan is to re-lube with graphite the morning of the race.

birddog
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

How did both of you guys do at the races? Pic?
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

We took 1st place by a significant margin (~.03 seconds).

birddog
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Very cool.