Joe, Look out for that WASP!

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Joe, Look out for that WASP!

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Darin.

It was the First wasp car I'v ever tried to make.. and a first using hand tools to build it with.
Lots of hard work went in to cutting out the body and legs with the coping saw.

I'm glad some of the tips I posted might come in handy or be helpful
for some who might be building cars in this way.

I'v got one more tip:
If you find it hard to follow or see the black lines on a pattern or wood with the dark coping saw blade
or scroll saw blades. (Try using a red marker on the wood or a red ink in the pattern.)
It will make seeing the cutting lines and blades better for you to see and to follow.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Very nice Mark. So when you traced your pattern did you just get an indentation in the paint to re-draw your paint lines?

I am considering a similar build with my daughter. Recall last year we did the Tiger stripes with a stencil. This year its a 3 tone leopard pattern. I am thinking brush paint like you; base coat of yellow then making 2 stencils. The first stencil for the large brown splotch and the second for smaller the black splotch (overlaying and lined up with the first stencil).

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Noskills wrote: So when you traced your pattern did you just get an indentation in the paint to re-draw your paint lines?
Seth, (yes)
I traced the pattern to get the indentations in the paint for a stencil if you will.
Thought it would be a quicker or easy way of painting the details for the wasp
with out having to cut the pattern up and then mark every thing out or mask off for.

I do recall your daughters Tiger striped car.. very sharp looking paint job she did by the way!

Tell her I want to see photos of her new car & the 3 tone leopard paint job will yah! ;)
It sounds like a really cool painting idea.. Good Luck to you Team Noskills.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Oh my goodness.

I do believe that you have done it again Whoda.

Totally amazing!

Cool sanding jig too!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Joe,

I just wanted to get away from the power tools and the scroll saw for this one..
and try the coping saw and hand tools for a change.

I haven't used a coping saw in so long & I thought it would be fun topic to see someone using one.