Derby Worx Axle Bender.

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.

Did you find this post, info Helpful !

Poll ended at Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:06 pm

1- Yes I found it Helpful.
40%
2- I did not.
No votes
3- This cleared up some questions I had.
20%
4- It did not help me.
No votes
5-I now realize Other videos can be misleading.
20%
6- this changed nothing for me.
20%

Total votes: 5

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Derby Worx Axle Bender.

Post by sporty »

Derby worx pro axle bender.

video by derby worx -

you tube-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpNRt0F1YXQ

I own it, and I have my own way to use it. (geez I do things a bit differently I guess).

And Pictures, I'm gonna lay out some information for you all too.

I am not a seller and I am not a professional video maker. So sorry for blurriness and mistakes or back ground noise.

my youtube.

Bsa axle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7SW5M4 ... e=youtu.be

Grooved Axle one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-5pKu ... e=youtu.be

3rd video, talking a bit more about grooved axle and the tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwaNDPh ... e=youtu.be

Two options, In which way to bend, Direction of Axle head.

Here is one way,

The below picture, You see the RED. But the higher part of the grooved axle is in the middle, which may be okay with using the tool this way. However the next grooved area, the thinner part is not past the clamp area. A tight clamp, might not provide you with any problems, but a not so tight clamp, could allow some axle damage. something to be awhare of, if you try it this way.

The above pictures, is with the pressure clamp / thumb screw removed from the tool. to show a grooved axle in the groove area.

Grooved axles had less material and the sellers and makers of grooved axles, are not all the same. Different area's of the axle are grooved. material reduced.

I use this way to bend my axles, Because I feel the clamping pressure is better to use this way, when bending with a grooved axle.

Now, the main video from the MFG. Shows it this way to use the tool.

This next picture.

I tried to set the axle next to the axle slot on the tool. With a grooved Axle. So you can see, depending on where you place the grooved axle. You can not having the thicker part of the axle in the slot. But Instead the smaller reduced diameter part of the axle.

You have to be careful ! if you do not see or watch for this, when using grooved axles to bend. You can damage the axle or mark up the slot in the tool.

I had a hard time, with only one had on the camera and trying to get the photo image I wanted to talk about this. So sorry for the blue tape.

I shift the axle back, so you can see the grooved axle. the two thicker parts of the axle. the one closest to the axle head, if placed into the slot on the tool, would be in contact and be correct.

Next picture: below

Top arrow, shows the area I was just talking about. This needs to be in the slot on the tool. The red dot shows the typical location area of that spot.

Now, the next picture. If you do this, or you should look for and watch out for this. This is not something you want to do. Placing the axle into the tool like this.

Naturally, This is only on grooved axles. Non grooved axles, will not be a problem. When following the directions. Always when using a new tool for the first time. Pre pre pare for it to take a few trial and errors to get the hang of the new tool and have a few extra spare axles to try it out first.

In the next picture-

The red Arrow shows, a no-no. this is not what you want, Do not place your GROOVED axle in the slot like this !

Sporty
Last edited by sporty on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Derby Worx Axle Bender.

Post by Speedster »

I like the tool for a very specific reason. We are required to use the slots and our rules state the wheels must be straight up and down. Since I'm the inspector for the Pack there is no problem unless the cant is rediculous. The District inspector also allows a little cant. With this tool a person can accurately bend each rear nail just enough to make the wheel ride on its edge and migrate to the nail head. It works well for my scouts and the scouts can do the procedure.