How to have a Glass smooth finish on car??

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

How to have a Glass smooth finish on car??

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Hi All,

Sorry is this has been posted before, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to get a glass smooth finish on their car? In the past, mine have looked ok, but the wood grain always shows through the paint. I've contemplated using bondo, but am fearful of the added weight. We haven't come up with a design yet this year, but most likely it will be a hershy bar or dog bone of some type with a balsa top layer.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to have a Glass smooth finish on car??

Post by sporty »

If you look at many of my car photos I usually show in some of them how to get a nice shine.
It is about sanding.

The wood sand to 600 grit. Before primer.

I like to use a white primer.

Basic primer is more or less flat paint. Some are called filler primer.

And some will say 2×, ultra coat.

The base coat is the starter coat.

I like to paint 4 to 5 coats on. Then let dry two days.
.then I wet sand with 320 first.

And then 400 grit wet sand.

And I usually need another coat or two.

Cuz its easy and okay to sand past the primer during this stage.

After this process is repeat two or three times.

No sand thru on the primer.

I then go to 600, 800, 1500 wet sand.

Its easy to clog the sand paper, so I'm re wetting and check for paint stuck on the sand paper.

I usually go thru 1/2 a sheet of 320. 1/2 a sheet of 400, 600,800, 1500 each.

I get 4 to 6 pieces out of 1/2 a sheet.

= sheet 8x10.
That's during this stage

I make sure I use a damp lint free cloth allot after each sanding with a grit type.

Now, I paint the base cost, my semi final paint. I do two, 3 light coats.

I sand this once it sits for 48 hours.

I go over wet sand light my with 400 and do a good sanding with 1500, 2000. Wet sand.

I mean light sanding...

One small 4x4 inch will work.

Wipe clean with clean damp lint free cloth. Wait for water to dry from paint. 1 hour.

Now clear coat, ..

6 to 10 light coats.
1 light coat, every 10 minutes. Until you have gotten 6 to qo coats.
The range of 6 to 10. Because some people spray lighter or heaver. You will see a nice shiny look. When done and ready to sit for 3 to 6 days.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Find a pic or blotch of color on Google Images and copy and paste it to Microsoft Word.

Stretch and narrow it until it prints out the size you want to fit over your car body (allow for some extra if you want it to fold over onto the sides) Once you get the right size then copy it onto photopaper.

Test spray 3 coats of automotive high gloss clear coat onto the pic to make sure the colors don't run. Once that's dry then cut it out and weigh it. This will help you decide if the weight is acceptable for your build. Once you know the colors don't run then print another copy onto photopaper.

Cut the pic out and without wheels or axles on the car, lay the pic on top of the car and place it where u want it. Turn the whole thing upside down then mark with a pencil around the car onto the back of the pic that now extends beyond the block.

Remove the block and spread 60 minute epoxy onto the entire top of the car. Place the pic on top and turn it upside down and line up the marks you made with the block so it's placed correctly. Push down on the block so the paper fits tight for a min or so until the glue sets. Roll a soft rag into a ball and press the pic smoothly onto the block to get any bumps out and to make it smooth as glass with no woodgrain visible. Don't rub too hard or you could smudge the pic. Leave it overnight. If you want to fold the sides over do those the next day.

Once it's dry and stable give it about 3 coats of clear coat and let dry a few days. Buff and polish just like you would a real car.

You could even lightly wet sand (water with a couple drops of laundry soap in bowl) starting with 600, 1000, 1500 and finish with 3000. Then buff with clear coat rubbing compound, McQuire's #6 then #26.

Just like glass baby!

Here is my boy's car done this way but without the wet sanding from last year. It also stiffened up our thin car.
[URL=http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Check out this tutorial. Not optimized for speed, but superior in terms of woodworking and painting, for sure.