Blocks out of alignment in the BSA boxes

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
DaringRacer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Blocks out of alignment in the BSA boxes

Post by DaringRacer »

Anyone else have this problem of the slots being cut very badly in the BSA pinewood boxes? I went through 4 boxes without finding a single one cut well. Two of them were nearly a full millimeter off on the angle cut. I ended up ordering a couple blocks from MaxV that are hopefully cut better. Is this common? The last few years I don't remember having this much of a problem with alignment.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Blocks out of alignment in the BSA boxes

Post by Vitamin K »

I don't tend to use slots, personally, so I don't have experience with the straightness thereof. However, it is worth noting that the folded instructions inside of the BSA block recommend that you check the straightness of the slots before using, and re-cut them if they are off. If this is the case, then I don't find poor quality control to be surprising at all!
DaringRacer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DaringRacer »

Our rules say we have to use them, but we can fix any that are 'broken'. I'm certain I'd mess it up worse than stock if I tried to drill a new slot - it's not just drilling a hole, the whole axle has to be visible from underneath the car.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

DaringRacer wrote:Our rules say we have to use them, but we can fix any that are 'broken'. I'm certain I'd mess it up worse than stock if I tried to drill a new slot - it's not just drilling a hole, the whole axle has to be visible from underneath the car.
You can fill your slots and cut new ones with a hacksaw. Search the archives here and you will probably find some tips for approaching this issue.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Drill your holes on the opposite side and take a coping or hack saw and just saw up to your holes.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Maximum Velocity, #5143, Pro-Body Slotter, $14.95. I've had success with this tool.
DaringRacer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DaringRacer »

ngyoung wrote:Drill your holes on the opposite side and take a coping or hack saw and just saw up to your holes.
That's a great idea, thanks!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

The pro-slot people can be pretty buggy. I ordered a block that was drilled and cut a slot with a hacksaw so you could see the nails and this was OK for my pack (BTW this was in Leesburg, VA just across the road from Ashburn). We did not go to districts but I am sure they are strict there.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

DaringRacer wrote:
ngyoung wrote:Drill your holes on the opposite side and take a coping or hack saw and just saw up to your holes.
That's a great idea, thanks!
We've done this before, although it has been many years since we had to use slots. Two things I seem to recall:

1. If you are trying to replicate a stock look, a single hack saw blade will produce a slot that is noticeably narrower, so you might stack two or three hacksaw blades.

2. After you cut the slot, the hole will be noticeably looser. You might want to try a drill bit that is slightly smaller than normal (e.g., #45 instead of #44).
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Derbyworx has a tool. To saw a slot.

You might wanna try that too.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:Derbyworx has a tool. To saw a slot.
:!: Cool. Described here. I see that it fits two saw blades, so my recollection was correct!
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Yes. 2 hack saw blades will match the slot. In my opinion if I have to buy a tool to accomplish something for car building I try to make it something to add to my general shop use vs a unitasker pwd tool. I can understand that others may have a different mindset or like the convenience of a specialized tool.