Car setup for wood track, no center rail

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
stay at home dad 13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Car setup for wood track, no center rail

Post by stay at home dad 13 »

This is my son's first derby and he's really excited. I've read all the tips through the forums, weight in back, thin body, work on axels and wheels. I just found out that the track his pack uses is all wood with no center rail, just side rails. What would be the best way to set his car up? Run as straight as possible, or outside rail ride? I was thinking a combo of both. Set the car up to run as straight as possible with a slight drift toward the right (the front wheel that touches the track). Cant the front wheel with positive camber so it will tough the outside rail. While the rears are set with negative camber and the right side block narrowed about 1/8 inch smaller to help with any possible touching of that wheel against the outside edge.
Any suggestions are advice will be greatly appreciated
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Car setup for wood track, no center rail

Post by ngyoung »

stay at home dad 13 wrote:This is my son's first derby and he's really excited. I've read all the tips through the forums, weight in back, thin body, work on axels and wheels. I just found out that the track his pack uses is all wood with no center rail, just side rails. What would be the best way to set his car up? Run as straight as possible, or outside rail ride? I was thinking a combo of both. Set the car up to run as straight as possible with a slight drift toward the right (the front wheel that touches the track). Cant the front wheel with positive camber so it will tough the outside rail. While the rears are set with negative camber and the right side block narrowed about 1/8 inch smaller to help with any possible touching of that wheel against the outside edge.
Any suggestions are advice will be greatly appreciated
Mostly the same. You still want to do a 3 wheel rail runner. Instead of insetting the DFW 1/16" you do it to the rear wheel on the DFW side. Instead of having the DFW at a positive cant you set it to a negative cant like the rears.
Front and back wheels should look like this /---\

The DFW should steer into the rail and having the rear wheel in-set on that same side will make it so only that 1 wheel will be touching the rail.
Last edited by ngyoung on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I've seen those types of races. Car banging into one another. Ect.
I personally would set it up to be fast off the start. The car that leads off the start often wins.
because so many of them run into one another going down the track.
I seen a 8 car race with no ccenter.
I still feel running strait and great car staging is the way to go. Esp if u get in the middle. It's a long way to the side of the track.
Sporty
stay at home dad 13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by stay at home dad 13 »

From what I can tell from pics of the track, it's a six car track where each car has it's own side rails, so there should be no touching of any cars, there would be less of a chance of the rear rubbing? What can I do to be fast off the line. On the one car we've built, we made 3 because he couldn't make up his mind, we extended the wheel base and have 3 oz in the rear.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

K. Ya that's alot different. Go with what ngyoung said.