Bang your head

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Bang your head

Post by asatxj »

Got called in to sub for another teacher, sorry.
Per your recommendations, I repeated the experiment with the added weight. The wheel behind the DFW allowed one sheet to go within 1/16" of the inside edge of the wheel and a second sheet at about 1/8". This is with wheel face out. Reversed-- Problem discovered! the DFW only allowed 1/8" insertion previously due to operator error! Paper was hitting the Front wheel! Repeated both weighted and unweighted insertion of sheet 1 to within 1/16" of inside edge and second sheet to 1/8" both times.

FWIW I have taken very little off of these wheels. I used a HIGHLY modded DW wheel tool on wheels that are 15* (normal outside temps this February) so they are harder and easier to work with. Not much fun using that tool outside in those conditions.
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

If I have understood correctly, doubling the load caused no additional tread distortion. Is that correct?

If so, then I think it unlikely that the flexibility of the wheel tread is no nonlinear that the tread distorted by the initial load. So, I would have to use more sensitive measures to ascribe wheel flex as the cause of energy loss with confidence.

Good idea to cool the wheels. I understand that really serious wheel workers cool them much more (the word "cryogenics" was used) prior to working them. I think a deep freeze at 0F would pale by comparison.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

Correct, no additional distortion.
The temp in the garage was 15* it was closer to -5 outdoors. Tough to handle the DW tool. Cryo cooling would be interesting. I'd like to see that done.
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!