How long do your wheels spin?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
BattleBorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How long do your wheels spin?

Post by BattleBorn »

ok getting back into it this year :) ...what is lemon pledge trick? I couldn't find it when I entered it in the search box. I see a lot of references to it but not specifically how it's done? Thx.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Spray it on, and wipe it off. Leaves a thin, slick film on your wheel bore and/or axle. As I understand, it is a "dry" film, just as would be left on a finished wood surface that your mother treated with Lemon Pledge! Being dry, it should cause no issues with rules and not affect graphite used for primary lube.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Even if it might not help your speed, it really smells good. I use it every time.
BattleBorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BattleBorn »

Stan Pope wrote:Spray it on, and wipe it off. Leaves a thin, slick film on your wheel bore and/or axle. As I understand, it is a "dry" film, just as would be left on a finished wood surface that your mother treated with Lemon Pledge! Being dry, it should cause no issues with rules and not affect graphite used for primary lube.
Interesting, I actually noticed it was very difficult to get the graphite to stick to the axles after I polished them, the graphite actually seemed to get everywhere except where I needed it the most. This seems counterintuitive to me, like it was make the axle even more slick and even more difficult to get the graphite to stick. But you guys are the experts,I'll be picking some up this afternoon! :)
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Nelvis »

As I understand it the graphite does not stick to the axle. It does however stick to the wheel which is why you work it in by spinning the wheel. I tried pledge on the axles this year but have no way of knowing if it helped. I'm actually somewhat sceptical of the lemon pledge. Intuition leads me to consider that whatever wax/residue it leaves behind might gum up the graphite. Nevertheless lots of people use it so I gave it a shot.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

It is probably a lot like silicone spray which is reported to be excellent ... for a few heats, but wears off quickly.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"