Mass-Producing Lead Weights for Scout Use?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mass-Producing Lead Weights for Scout Use?

Post by Darin McGrew »

My question is directed more at the "tungsten is effectively free" advocates who think it is a simple matter to remove/swap expensive tungsten weights without ruining the design of a car.

Personally, I'll keep using tungsten when I need its density to make my design work. (I've spent at least that much on other design supplies on some of my cars.) And I'll use recycled tire weights otherwise. But I won't remove the tungsten (or other weights) from any of my cars, and I won't pretend that tungsten is "effectively free".
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Darin McGrew wrote:My question is directed more at the "tungsten is effectively free" advocates who think it is a simple matter to remove/swap expensive tungsten weights without ruining the design of a car.

Personally, I'll keep using tungsten when I need its density to make my design work. (I've spent at least that much on other design supplies on some of my cars.) And I'll use recycled tire weights otherwise. But I won't remove the tungsten (or other weights) from any of my cars, and I won't pretend that tungsten is "effectively free".
Darin,

You don't have to pretend. If you want Tungsten cubes to be "essentially free" it is very easy to be done, but you do have to choose to do so and incorporate that in your design.

Double sided tape is all you need (although not recommended - my wifes car raced Mid America this way) With the addition of Foil tape over the bottom there is no need to glue them in. Want to make it easier - use the new bars from Max V.

Bottom line is that it can be reused very easily. People are doing it, it's up to you if you want to adopt the technique.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Hi VK,

I think the best way to do it would be to spin cast the lead shapes,
But I don't like messing with lead. A colleague got poisoned one time.
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rcmoeur »

Our Pack goes through about two 1 lb / 46" rolls of 1/4" lead wire every season. $5.69 a roll at Sportsman's Warehouse. Fits nicely in a 17/64" hole and covers easily with wood putty. A typical car takes about seven 1 3/8" pieces, easily cut with pliers. The boys wear disposable plastic gloves while handling, and wash their hands after. Works great.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Well, I went ahead and decided to make a lead mold. I ended up cutting strips of wood, 3/8" in height, and then arranging them with spacers of various sizes and distances to set up the "ingots" that I desired. I went ahead and set up for 10 bars that were 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 3/8" and 5 bars that were 3/8" x 1 1/2" x 3/8".

Here's the actual mold. The little pieces inside are snug, but not so tight that I can't move them if I want to adjust sizes. I numbered the bars so that I could unscrew them, in the event that I needed to do so in order to get a poured piece out.

Here's the results of a pour of lead. I only did one, as my time was limited. Not sure if I'll do any more, or just go a different route to supply the Pack with ballast. Well, at any rate, I have enough lead to ballast my kids' cars for Awana and Pinewood Derby this season!