Water from skin install absorbing into the wood?????

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Hitec4you
Apprentice
Apprentice

Water from skin install absorbing into the wood?????

Post by Hitec4you »

My two sons are doing their first PWD cars. They want to do the skins on the cars instead of painting. My question is, should we paint the cars first so that the water does not absorb into the wood with like an enamel paint?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Water from skin install absorbing into the wood?????

Post by gpraceman »

It wouldn't hurt to at least prime the car.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
iflytii
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by iflytii »

I watched the installation video when we were debating going with these and it appears they are sticking them directly to the wood. They also claim "no painting" as a perk for using them. That said, I think I'd throw a coat of primer as Randy suggested so you don't waterlog your block.
Hitec4you
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hitec4you »

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that a coat of something would be better than getting all the water soaked in the wood.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

One thing you might want to check with your rules.. is if the bottom side of the kit block can also be painted.

I my self have never seen an inspector turn away a car with the bottom side painted.
But with different rule sets and different pre-cut kits now or days.

just saying if the rules are all about the kit types that must be used for the race
And the inspector is looking at it from the bottom side for the kit type or for the pine wood look to the kit type.
I would not paint the bottom side with primer.. for this i'd use a clear paint type sealer.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?