How to secure DFW axle?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

How to secure DFW axle?

Post by davidwilkie »

Any tips on how to secure the DFW axle (or any axle for that matter) so it doesn't move from the rough handling that always occurs during handling by the race volunteers? My son had a car set for a 2" left drift over 4' (DFW is on the right) and after it performed relatively poorly, after racing tested it and was surprised to discover it had about a 4" drift to the right! So the lifted wheel ran along the guide rail. Ugh.

I'm wondering if epoxy is a good idea? Put a little in the axle slot and be sure to keep it away from the wheel bore? Maybe even drill a small hole perpendicular into the slot that intercepts the axle and put some epoxy in that? The disadvantages are probably many, including not being able to adjust or remove the axle after gluing, but the risk of the axle moving and ruining the alignment is real (I recall same thing happening to cars of the past too) so there is ample motivation to find some way to secure it better.

Any ideas or tips appreciated!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to secure DFW axle?

Post by gpraceman »

If the axles are inserted into a slot, you can use hot glue. Some use white glue.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Nelvis »

Right or wrong I used a little wood glue in the slot. I'm not sure what the best choice would be for easy later removal but I think getting the white glue or wood glue wet would do the trick to loosen it later.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

We use super glue on all 4 axles, once set. We drill 2 holes per axle, on the bottom of the car, then add a few drops of super glue per hole. Never had one come loose or move around.

I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We use slots. I use "No Sag" Super glue. I know it's not recommended but I forgot why. I've never had a problem.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The reason "super glue" is discouraged is that the fumes released as it cures tend to condense on nearby surfaces. There are some surfaces in the vicinity of the axles that you definitely don't want affected by the condensate... e.g. polished wheel bores, polished axles.

However, I have not actually tested the effect of the condensate ... could it be an effective lubricant??? (He asks with tongue in cheek.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

We use a thick CA glue from Hobbytown that sets in 10 seconds. It's thicker than standard CA glue, so doesn't 'run' along the axle head once it's dropped down into our 'glue holes'. Great product for $3.99/bottle.

And no issues with fumes/condensate.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Stan, I truly did not know that. I always wondered why we ever lost a race. It's that doggone Super Glue. Thanks for the info.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

Scrollsawer wrote:We use a thick CA glue from Hobbytown that sets in 10 seconds. It's thicker than standard CA glue, so doesn't 'run' along the axle head once it's dropped down into our 'glue holes'. Great product for $3.99/bottle.

And no issues with fumes/condensate.

Scrollsawer
Ours is thick/gel as well, and we only use little drops. Never had any "whiting" on anything as it dries.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

We drill holes similar to gtdhw, but we drill just one hole instead of two. We put epoxy in those holes once the car is running the way we want it to run.

birddog
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

If you car was subject to mishandling you might get a bent axle, then how would you fix it if it was glued?

I am not sure a car with drilled axle holes, needs them glued if the holes and wood are a good match. About 3 years ago we had a car that had one of the fastest runs we ever saw, but would not hold the time with any consistence. After several hours of testing and :wall: we discovered that front steering axle was loose in the car, so it got a cross hole and glued as time was of the essence.

I do like the idea of the single hole showing the tips (shown here http://5kidsracing.webs.com/cubscoutbuildtips.htm) as gluing the tips would stop movement in both directions and be farther away from the wheel to eliminate problems like Stan eluded to.

In more recent times, if I have a loose hole I will just take a tooth pic and chassis to the faucet get it wet and put a few drops of water in the axle holes. The water will swell the wood and tighten the hole. If it's real bad, you could add heat to swell it. Not sure how to add heat evenly around the hole, but a good try might be to just microwave it as long as its the bare chassis and no weights.

Also, you don't want them too tight as you may not be able to get the axle out without destroying the wheel - had that happen too.

Hope that helps.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

With the nail head pliers, I've found that removal of the axle is super easy. Even with the two dots of sg, the surface area that gets glued, is plenty to hold it secure (as you stated, it's just "extra" insurance since the drilled axle holes are very snug), but small enough that it breaks loose very easily with a twist of the pliers, and causes no issue upon removal.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Do you inspect your axle heads for damage with magnification after using any hard extraction tool?

Couldn't ever bring myself to use anything hard that might damage them after polishing. Besides the possible damage to axle head our wheel gaps wouldn't allow them to grip on.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We must use slots. We are not allowed to cut a slot in the axle head so I am forced to leave just enough room to grip the DFW with the special pliers. I think the pliers do no damage when adjusting but with the tapered head and larger gap I hope the axle head never comes in contact with the wheel having Positive camber. I've never had to remove an axle after it's been glued in. If I do I doubt I would use the axle over. At our level of racing, if I had to remove an axle without damaging the car, I would cut the wheel off with a pair of sidecuts, grab the axle head with a pair of standard pliers, give it a twist and pull it out. I understand there are some very expensive wheels but we are not allowed to use them.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

I have heard that one way to combat the steer from changing during a rough stop section etc. is to drill the DFW axle hole approximating the steer.