under body clearance newbie question

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

under body clearance newbie question

Post by Nelvis »

So I am finishing up my dad car. Sadly it was not in time for the pack parent/sibling race. Anyway I need a bit more weight and I need to do it gently since I'm happy with the stained finish and I would also like it to be potentially removable. I was planning on using 1 tungsten plate screwed into the bottom of the car. Will I have any clearance issues with the center guide rail? We run a BestTrack and I am using the slots in a standard block.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: under body clearance newbie question

Post by Gtdhw »

BestTrack's center rail height is 1/4" according their website. If you have more than a 1/4" clearance once the plate is installed, you should be good to go.
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Gtdhw wrote:BestTrack's center rail height is 1/4" according their website. If you have more than a 1/4" clearance once the plate is installed, you should be good to go.
Just make sure you're going to clear the transition okay. On the tight curve of a Best Track, cars with less clearance are at risk. You don't need the full 3/8" recommended, but be wary of going too low. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact numbers to recommend.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Using a plate measuring 0.064. Rolling a stock wheelbase car using slots with a plate on the very rear bottom. (short end). Going through the curve on a Best track will leave about 1/8" clearance from the plate to the highest point of the guide strip.
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Nelvis »

Perfect! Thank you Speedster. I was hoping to put the plate on before I get the wheels on. I will measure afterwards to be safe but it sounds like 1 plate will be okay. Thanks again all.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Actually, measuring won't give the answer. It depends on where the plate is installed. If you were to put the plate under the car at the very front you would still clear the guide strip but it would be very close. If you shifted the wheelbase (cut off 1/4" from the back and move it to the front) and installed the plate at the very front, the plate would scrape. This could be solved by running the plate the long way and the guide strip would not be involved because of its design.