Thanks all, District results

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Thanks all, District results

Post by davet »

Vitamin K wrote: Next year is my son's last year of cub racing, and I will probably let him do lights on his car.
Awesome. I may have to check back next year just to see a pic.

This 3v watch-type battery we use only weighs .02 oz. Our 4 lights are still full on bright and our race was last Sat.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Dave, that guy is not worth another second of your time.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

davet,,

Remember when i said I would not let the lights stand in the way of letting your son build a car using them ?
Glad in some small way i was able to say the words.. and to help you guys out with a few lighting ideas for the car!

I hope with what you have shared about the led lights and timer system info..
will help those who are looking to build cars using lights or looking to see if lights will effect the timer system.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

whoda,
I do remember that and we checked out those cool LED setups. Some wicked possibilities there for sure. I also think it would be cool to have a Dukes of Hazard car with the horn that triggers when the gate drops or when it hits the stop section. Maybe some smoke from the rear tires as it goes down the ramp. With the tiny electronics now the possibilities are expanding :hmm:

I understand for our District race it didn't affect our ranking but I would hate for another boy to even wonder if our lights somehow affected his time when he was maybe only a few thousandths ahead of or behind the next guy.

This District guy says that our lights shining to the sides could affect some timing sensors on the sides of the track. I was unaware that there are sensors on the side but I have no working knowledge of the timing systems.

I think if we had more cars to build we would still try to find creative ways to use lights. It seems the car ideas expand so much when you can be different with lights. Also, nobody expects a car with lights to be fast.
simple_man
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by simple_man »

" Also had awesome no glue wheel shields and used washers for the first time. "

Davet,

Can you elaborate on the no glue wheel shields and how you used washers and where?

Thanks,

Mike
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

I see you're in Mpls. Ask Warren for some at the Rosemount shop. A local guy makes them.
The washer "pops" into the shield and the shield fits tight on the axle.
simple_man
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by simple_man »

Davet,

Thank you for the quick reply. The picture tells me what I wanted to know. I made up some very similar shields for my sons pack race, but decided not to use them in the end. He qualified for his district race and I we are building a new car to use. After seeing your race results I will be using them for sure. Congratulations on the great results for you and your son.

Mike
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Gtdhw wrote:A 100% Scout built car is just as sad as a 100% Dad built car
+1

When I've been in charge or organizing the design judges, I've made a point of telling them to ignore whether they think the kid built it or whether the parent built it. First, the point of the derby is for kids and adults to build the car together, not for the kid to build the car alone. Second, they're likely wrong about the "parent built" cars.

Years ago, we had a family that entered cars that were gorgeous works of art. And a few people talked. It turned out that the dad was a woodworker, and his kids knew their way around a workshop (with appropriate supervision, of course). And the dad's car the following year was a thing of true beauty.

Another father-son team built beautiful matching cars that were very detailed. And a few people talked. It turned out that the kid had done most of the hands-on work on BOTH cars (with appropriate supervision, of course). I had an interesting conversation with the son about the shortcuts they had taken on the dad's car. At the time, we didn't have design awards for adults, so his dad's car wasn't competing for a design award, and they took shortcuts to make it easier. But he went all-out on his own car.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

davet wrote: I also think it would be cool to have a Dukes of Hazard car with the horn that triggers when the gate drops or when it hits the stop section. Maybe some smoke from the rear tires as it goes down the ramp. With the tiny electronics now the possibilities are expanding
You Said it davet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBB-Ma5K7_M

working on the smoking tires for ya! how's this?
http://www.autobodydepot.com/RDL-96-003 ... u3M_9IrJkg

Whoda. ;)
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Oh yeah!!. That's it man. A General Lee with smoking tires and a horn. Totally hollowed out with thin body over 1/4", hollow bottom and horn hidden in the "trunk" :clap:
Now, do you think a Dukes of Hazard Daisy Jeep with a Barbie model on it would fly for a scout car?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

whodathunkit wrote:
davet wrote: I also think it would be cool to have a Dukes of Hazard car with the horn that triggers when the gate drops or when it hits the stop section. Maybe some smoke from the rear tires as it goes down the ramp. With the tiny electronics now the possibilities are expanding
You Said it davet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBB-Ma5K7_M
Whoda. ;)
Perhaps you can smooth out the audio ... the square waves out of that speaker are really obnoxious! Perhaps a microprocessor could do the trick. Perhaps get a neighborhood trumpet player to give you 3 or 4 seconds of recorded audio that you digitize and encode as a constant in the program?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

davet wrote:...
Now, do you think a Dukes of Hazard Daisy Jeep with a Barbie model on it would fly for a scout car?
That one begs to be a Mother's or Sister's car!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Vitamin K wrote: Next year is my son's last year of cub racing, and I will probably let him do lights on his car.
Did you guys go with lights this year?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

davet wrote:
Did you guys go with lights this year?
LED Matrix + Arduino Nano.

Yeah, it's getting a little involved. :)

Have got all the components and everything works on the breadboard. Now we just need to get them stuffed into a reasonably fast car by January 25th.

Hooboy. :)
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

oh man! That sounds interesting. When you say breadboard are you referring a real breadboard or is that tech lingo for some kind of circuit board?